Found New Hardware Wizard Does Not Find Driver Software

Reaction score
I am running my PC on Windows XP Home Edition. I am trying to install a new Brother HL-5340D printer. The installation disk runs correctly and copies files onto my PC. When the "Found New Hardware" wizard starts it cannot find the driver even when I have it on original cd and desktop. I have tried both the automatic option and the "targeted" option both without success.

When I go into Device Manager the printer is listed and there is a yellow dot with an exclamation mark next to it on a question mark by a listing Other Devices HL5340D series . When I right click on the printer name and properties it needs the driver to be installed. I attempt to reinstall the driver and state the location of the driver ie on the installation cd and the wizard cannot find/see the software

I have used the same printer, installation disk and USB cable to install the printer on my laptop without any problems. The laptop also runs on Windows XP Home edition.

I have tested the same USB port on my PC with other hardware and there are no problems.

From what little I have so far been able to discover it might be a registry problem. But I would be grateful for any assistance

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Are both XP's running the same updates ?

Is there another driver on the Brother site ?

Best I can offer.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Yes both XPs are running the same updates

Yes did download from the Brother site the latest driver and saved to my desktop

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
SafariJim said:
Yes both XPs are running the same updates

Yes did download from the Brother site the latest driver and saved to my desktop

Could be a corupt download. Try downloading it again.

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian

Have done it twice

Forgot to mention I have also twice used the restore facility and gone back to 2 different dates and still the problem continues

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That as much as I can help with the problem. Someone else will possibly have more to offer. They are clever bunch here.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question