Hardware-can't install new hardware via USB ports

Reaction score
I will try to make a very long story short.....

Each time I try to install a new hardware device (i.e., Sandisk travel drive, Targus Number Keypad, Blackberry phone) the wizard comes up and tries to install the device; however, an error message comes up each time saying the device could not be installed and that a driver could not be found. All three ports on my Sony laptop work for other USB devices I have, but I can't seem to install a new hardware device.

I have Windows XP Media Center, Service Pack 3. Sony actually had me uninstall my USB ports and restart my computer, with the idea that the computer would detect them as new hardware and reinstall them. The computer found the USB ports, but the installation failed for those also. I had to restore my computer to a few days prior to the uninstallation so that would work...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reaction score
sounds like it could be a power issue relating to the USB bus. So is anything working from the USB now, or are the USB ports themselves still not being installed?

Ask a Question