Formatting & Beyond

Reaction score
Hello. I've just put the order in for a Windows 7 64-bit copy, along with a 4gb stick of RAM.

Anyway, as noted I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to the installation of internal material; biting the bullet, I'm going to resist dropping off my system into the local computer repair store and give this a whirl myself.

A few questions

Before I attempt a format of my current hard drives, (the basics like backup have been completed), I'm worried about my cracked version of XP.

All of my Google results tell me to just pop in the XP disc, and the format process from there should be as easy as falling off a log. However, I have no disc, seeing that my cracked version was a loaned disc from a now distant tech buddy.

My questions then (and they are so basic as to paint me into silliness):

- Is it possible for me to format without the XP disc?

- Is it then possible to install Windows 7 cleanly?

- What about graphics card drivers? I'll obviously need to reinstall them? (I do own the product CD)

- And the scary chipset stuff for the motherboard - what in the heck happens here? (I do own the product CD)

Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel, after years of the illegal route. Thanks for all of your help.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If you are installing Windows 7 over an installation of XP, you can pop in the 7 disc and choose a Complete Install rather than an upgrade to the current OS. This will give you the option to format the drive. The best option, provided you have backed up everything, is to remove the partitions on the drive and then run the install of 7. This will create a full partition on the boot drive and install Windows 7.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My two pennorth:

First, check Mucks' link to make sure your machine can run Win 7.

Next, as others have said, boot from the Win 7 disk and follow instructions and take the fresh install/format route, not the upgrade route.

Then, after first installing some anti virus and anti malware software, (freebies: Antivir; Microsoft Security Essentials; Avast for AV and Malwarebytes; SuperAntiSpyware for AM) if you know the make and model of your motherboard go to the manufacturer's website and download all relevant drivers.

If you're not sure which drivers to install then put a list of which ones are available here and we will advise.

Next, find out the make and model of your graphics card. If you have graphics integrated to the motherboard the drivers will be among those you've already downloaded. If you have an independent graphics card it's likely it will be either Nvidia or AMD (ATI). If so go to the relevant website and download latest video drivers and install them.

If you need to find out which components you have you can download free software named Speccy and GPU-Z which will give you the information you need.

As for the naughty copy of XP, if you choose the options outlined above Microsoft won't even look at it, it will just format it out of existence during the install.

Good luck.

Reaction score

After running the advisor, everything looks to be OK to go ahead with a custom installation. That's great Muck, thanks again.

The best option, provided you have backed up everything, is to remove the partitions on the drive and then run the install of 7. This will create a full partition on the boot drive and install Windows 7.

Ah OK. I should completely erase the partitions on my drives now, and then pop in the Windows 7 disc after? (assuming this would mean some poking around in the boot screen).

Good luck.

Thanks for your step by step advice Floppy. I'll be following what you said by the letter.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
proceed with a "custom" install ...
a clean install, or what Microsoft calls a custom install, is when you boot your PC with Windows 7 Setup media (typically a Setup DVD) with the intention of installing just Windows 7 on the PC.

You will / can wipe out the previous Windows version during Setup. :)

Reaction score
Might seem a bit odd, but I'm only now going ahead with this installation (Windows 7 64bit OEM). I keep getting a blue screen error after clicking the "install" button.

I'm in the process of an installation right now as we speak (this will be third time), and I've noticed that I do have a USB Logitech mouse & keyboard plugged in, which I've heard may conflict with installation.

I've heard such things "update motherboard BIOS" and "memory changes - RAM(?)", but I'm not too sure how to implement. I've cleaned up well on hard drive space.

Anyway, my specs are still the same. I've directly pulled them from another self-help thread I created not so long ago. Any advice you can chuck my way would be appreciated.

Current rig:

- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.50 Ghz
- 3.25 GB of RAM (4 GB ?)
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional, SP 2
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
- ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2A-VM HDMI 1.XX Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
- Hitachi 160 GB
- ST320410A 20.40 GB
- ST3500418AS 500.11 GB

Reaction score
Might seem a bit odd, but I'm only now going ahead with this installation (Windows 7 64bit OEM). I keep getting a blue screen error after clicking the "install" button.

Yesterday I worked around this by installing W7 via safemode, but the OS was incredibly unstable, with what looked to be critical sections of the software perhaps missing. I've since then been in touch with Microsoft, who have advised me to follow the "upgrade" option via the DVD. I've had no luck with that, and I'm going to proceed with another custom installation now.

Is there anything I could try? When booting, my computer has problems. Missing "bootmgr" file is prompted without the DVD inside of the tray, which means I can't access W7 without the disk

Actually right now, while trying the re-installation, I've had one 'blue screen' error and one 'freeze' outside of safemode.

Anything thrown my way would be great.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's possible if 3.25Gb of RAM is showing that one or more memory sticks might be faulty, that would certainly cause the problems you're having. There's a free software download named Memtest which you burn to a CD and boot from and it tests your memory.

You will either have two or four sticks of memory, one or more of which may be faulty, try one stick at a time with Memtest to try a process of elimination.

However, the reported 3.25Gb of RAM may just be all Win XP can see.

It may help to upgrade the BIOS but unless you know what you're doing, leave well alone. This is your motherboard: Link and here are the drivers and BIOS's available for Win 7 64 Bit: Drivers & BIOS

Latest BIOS for that board is 5001, If you enter the motherboard's BIOS it should tell you which version you currently have installed.. Again, if you're not confident on updating BIOS, then don't.

Reaction score
It's possible if 3.25Gb of RAM is showing that one or more memory sticks might be faulty, that would certainly cause the problems you're having.

It may help to upgrade the BIOS but unless you know what you're doing, leave well alone. This is your motherboard: Link and here are the drivers and BIOS's available for Win 7 64 Bit: Drivers & BIOS

Thanks. I've been doing lots of poking around on this online. I've literally just flashed my BIOS, which was a definite learning experience. The flash seems to have gone through OK, as I've booted up W7 without a hitch (so far).

I'm going to try a clean installation, with hopefully no 'blue screen errors'. If that doesn't work I'd better move onto the RAM checks.

Reaction score
Looks like the BIOS update has solved my installation issues. Well this is great, thanks for your help.

Ask a Question