Flight Gear Simulation

Reaction score
I have a 3.0GHz, 1 Gig ram, Axper P4 LGA775 533MHz FSB. Running windows XP Professional. No video card, no sound card and no graphics card. I recently downloaded Flight Gear Simulator and it tends to freeze. Do I need a graphics card and what type is best to put. Allso do I need to put a video card in as well. I only plan to run this type of game and plan to buy the Microsoft Flight Simulator X in the future. Please tell me what ever it is that I need to buy to make this game work.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:

A video and graphics card are the same thing really, do you know what model motherboard you have as it will make it easier for peeps on here to recommend a card.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

The Axper 4 series motherboards support AGP, but it depends on the model you have whether or not it will support an AGP card at x4 or x8, x8 is obvioulsy better.

Had a look forte system requirements you need for that game and it says you require a video card with at least 128mb of RAM.

For Flight Simulator X it looks like you can get away with the same requirements.

So an old FX5200 - 5500 or an Nvidia 6 Series AGP card should be fine.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

AGP x8, have a look on ebay for one.

Better off getting a working second hand one.

Reaction score
Thanks hey, I already been looking on Ebay. So you say a second hand one will work ok

Reaction score
3.0GHz, 1 Gig ram, Axper P4 LGA775 533MHz FSB. Running windows XP Professional. No sound card and no graphics card. Model number is XP-M5S661GX SiS 661GX chipset. I do know that I cannot upgrade because the motherboard does not support it.I would like to buy off Ebay this QX6850 EXTREME Core 2 Quad 3.0GHZ 1333MHZFSB. What I want To know is, Would I be able to take out the old motherboard and replace it with this new one. If I can what all in the tower would I have to replace. Thanks so kindly.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
The QX6850 is a processor not a motherboard.

The Motherboard you have now has an AGP x 8 slot on it for an AGP x8 Graphics Card so you can upgrade.

Reaction score
Ok, Let me make myself clear. Latter on I would like a bigger computer like a Intel core 2 Quad Extreme. What I want to know is will I be able to put another motherboard in my existing computer tower Or will I have to buy a complete new tower. The motherboard I have now, will it support a upgrade to a faster CPU.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Right okay,

Well i don't know what kind of PC tower you have, only the components you have listed that go inside. It looks like the Motherboard you have is MATX this is a smaller version of a standard ATX.

If you take the side off of your PC you will see if there are any holes to the right of the Motherboard, most cases will support an ATX Motherboard, but without knowing what case you have i cannot be sure.

Your motherboard only supports Pentium 4 Processors so no Dual Core or Quad Cores.

If you want an Extreme Quad Core then you will need

New Motherboard,
New Memory

Most likely a new Power Supply.

You can get a very good PC case for £40 - 50, as if you want a bigger better PC then its worth spending the money on a new case that has better fans and airflow to keep everything cool.

What kind of a budget are you on???

I hope this has helped.

Reaction score
At the end of this month i will be going to work in Australia. Im looking at 2000 Australian dollars to spend on a good computer. I was actually looking at a macbook air but I dont know if it will handle Flight Simulation. Maybe u can give me advice, like I said I will only run this game. Then I do alot of surfing the net. I will be using alot of Skype to keep in touch with my family here in South Africa. I think thats about it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
So do you want a laptop/notebook or a PC???

The Macbook air will probably play it fine, but do you need a Mac???

Ask a Question