Firewalls disabled, cannot ping IP address

G

Attempted network between Xp and 98SE machine. D-Link 624 router allows both to connect to internet but cannot network computers. As per prior notices I turned off the XP and Norton firewalls on XP machine, 98 machine has no 3rd party utilities. I updated the XP system before I attached D-Link. XP computer cannot ping its IP address, nor can 98 macnine ping the XP IP address. Under help--networks---test network connection--network connection failed. Under network connection results everything passed (all with other address) except the line for IP address-- failed--time out error 0 packets returned. I gave up on establishing the network (using XP and 98) but why does ping command fail for the XP IP address? I can ping other addresses. Device manager shows all devices working. I have an Intel D 875 PBZ board with built in LAN and XP could not find better drivers. Research at www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm states unless the ping problem is resolved no network will ever work.

H

Hans-Georg Michna

Dan T said:
Attempted network between Xp and 98SE machine. D-Link 624 router allows both to connect to internet but cannot network computers. As per prior notices I turned off the XP and Norton firewalls on XP machine, 98 machine has no 3rd party utilities. I updated the XP system before I attached D-Link. XP computer cannot ping its IP address, nor can 98 macnine ping the XP IP address. Under help--networks---test network connection--network connection failed. Under network connection results everything passed (all with other address) except the line for IP address-- failed--time out error 0 packets returned. I gave up on establishing the network (using XP and 98) but why does ping command fail for the XP IP address? I can ping other addresses. Device manager shows all devices working. I have an Intel D 875 PBZ board with built in LAN and XP could not find better drivers. Research at www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm states unless the ping problem is resolved no network will ever
work.

Dan,

have you followed the other advice in the link
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm and uninstalled the third
party firewall completely?

Hans-Georg

G

I did as you suggested, uninstalled Norton and now I can ping my IP address and all pass under trouble shoot. Thank you!! Another question please? I just purchased the XP CD from store. Looked closer at CD, it is Version 2002. Only four days since registered my key but did not register free 90 day Norton. Was my problem old Norton and XP software? What will happen if I re-install Norton? Was problem that I did not upgrade Norton? Thanks again.

H

Hans-Georg Michna

Dan T said:
I did as you suggested, uninstalled Norton and now I can ping my IP address and all pass under trouble shoot. Thank you!! Another question please? I just purchased the XP CD from store. Looked closer at CD, it is Version 2002. Only four days since registered my key but did not register free 90 day Norton. Was my problem old Norton and XP software? What will happen if I re-install Norton? Was problem that I did not upgrade Norton? Thanks again.

Dan,

I'm not entirely sure what the exact cause is. I guess the
Norton firewall can be used if it is set up in a certain proper
way, but I don't know it.

Perhaps somebody else has details.

There is only one version of XP Home and only one of XP
Professional, so no old version. I recommend to install the
service packs (currently still #1) and other updates though,
particularly the security patches.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question