fax server information cannot be retrieved

Bob Pearce - Australia

Can anyone solve this mystery when trying to send a fax?

Thanks, Bob from ........... down under

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Only if you state how you installed and configured XP Fax, which approved
analog fax modem you are using, and the precise steps that produce the error
message.

Bob Pearce - Australia

Thanks Russ, due to a hard drive failure, I purchased a new system with XP
pro (service pack 1) preinstalled with all updates, I installed fax as in
the normal way, configuration was all OK and it worked Ok first up first
time and after a reboot, failed.

Modem is a Netcomm Rave 11 which I have used for my fax modem for some years
OK, no problems.

Have tried reinstalling fax, same problem each time.

When I go to send a fax it comes up with the error message, fax server
information cannot be retrieved.

Hope you can assist, regards ... Bob

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Hmm... I suspect you got caught in the SP trap. Many users who have updated
an older version of Windows XP to SP2 before they try to install the fax
service appear to be encountering a problem installing the fax service. In
these cases there is no error message during the installation
(distinguishing this from the very common problem where the installation
routine states it cannot find the necessary files). The installation appears
to proceed without error, but when it is over there is no fax printer
apparent and any attempt to send a fax results in the error message "Fax
server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will now close." This
problem appears to occur because the security data base is corrupted as
documented here:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835132
2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?

In this case, it found everything, but didn't install it correctly. Its
likely you have security data base corruption as documented here:

You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

You can either:

1. Get the hotfix mentioned in the KB article and install it. Microsoft
does not charge for support calls to get supported hotfixes listed in
Knowledge Base articles.

2. Try this procedure using the Esentutl.exe utility mentioned in the KB
article to recover from security database corruption:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00270202
HP and Compaq Notebook PCs: Unable to Install Windows XP Fax Software

I can report that the Esentutl utility has corrected the problem in a number
of cases, HOWEVER, note that Microsoft does NOT recommend that you use the
utility and would prefer you try the hotfix.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Bob Pearce - Australia said:
Thanks Russ, due to a hard drive failure, I purchased a new system with XP
pro (service pack 1) preinstalled with all updates, I installed fax as in
the normal way, configuration was all OK and it worked Ok first up first
time and after a reboot, failed.

Modem is a Netcomm Rave 11 which I have used for my fax modem for some
years OK, no problems.

Have tried reinstalling fax, same problem each time.

When I go to send a fax it comes up with the error message, fax server
information cannot be retrieved.

Hope you can assist, regards ... Bob

PiAnt

Hi Bob, this might help.

I reinstalled my dial-up modem to use as a fax today and had the same
problem. Seems we're not the only ones mate, this is pretty common. Googling
didn't produce any answer either, just more frustration.

I seem to have sorted it out though (not saying it'll do it for you mind),
but I installed the original drivers (reported as being older than those
installed from the CDRom (btw it's a D-Link DFM-562IS Data/fax/modem) and it
also came up recognised as a full duplex something and a wave device also
(which it hadn't done previously), then I uninstalled the Windows Fax
components, reset, reinstalled them again and reset once more. The fax
console is now up and running and seems fine, the whole of the settings came
up as soon as I opened it.

Only problem I have now is finding someone who might want to receive a fax
from me ;)