Favorite Freeware games

Susan Bugher

I like this Scrabble clone:

Program: Networdz
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/scrabblesetup.exe
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/instructions.pdf

Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

TIA :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

jb

Susan said:
I like this Scrabble clone:

Program: Networdz
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/scrabblesetup.exe
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/instructions.pdf

Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

TIA :)

Susan

One game I play occasionally, year after year, is Rocks 'n Diamonds.
It's a fun way to while away some time.

http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/
http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/screenshots/size_medium.html

Susan Bugher

jb said:
One game I play occasionally, year after year, is Rocks 'n Diamonds.
It's a fun way to while away some time.

http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/
http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/screenshots/size_medium.html

Speaking of such, I usually "while away" way too much time when I start
playing this little game. . .

http://www.geocities.com/frankbannon/same/index.html

The Same Game is an addictive yet simple, single-player, board game. The
goal of the game is to remove groups of pieces from the board, and earn
points based on the size of the group.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bob Phillips

site not available.

Susan Bugher said:
Speaking of such, I usually "while away" way too much time when I start
playing this little game. . .

http://www.geocities.com/frankbannon/same/index.html

The Same Game is an addictive yet simple, single-player, board game. The
goal of the game is to remove groups of pieces from the board, and earn
points based on the size of the group.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Larry Sabo

[snip]
Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

I'm addicted to Forty Thieves, which is part of 123freesolitaire
(2002). Later versions of 123freesolitaire exclude Forty Thieves, so I
treasure my copy. Haven't been able to find it after extensive
seachng. The other games in the latest version are also excellent
entertainment.

http://www.123freesolitaire.com/

Cheers,
Larry

badgolferman

Larry said:
[snip]
Please post your favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

I'm addicted to Forty Thieves, which is part of 123freesolitaire
(2002). Later versions of 123freesolitaire exclude Forty Thieves, so I
treasure my copy. Haven't been able to find it after extensive
seachng. The other games in the latest version are also excellent
entertainment.

http://www.123freesolitaire.com/

Cheers,
Larry

I'm addicted to that game also, but from a different vendor from 1994
which shall not be named for the version is shareware. However I have
never seen a nag screen or any such indication whatsoever that it is
shareware unless I look at Help->About.

Vegard Krog Petersen

[snip]
Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

I'm addicted to Forty Thieves, which is part of 123freesolitaire
(2002). Later versions of 123freesolitaire exclude Forty Thieves, so I
treasure my copy. Haven't been able to find it after extensive
seachng. The other games in the latest version are also excellent
entertainment.

http://www.123freesolitaire.com/

Cheers,
Larry

Crippleware.

Latest freeware version (3.80) available from my site:
http://solitaire.vegard2.no/

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Please post *your* favorite game(s)

Nethack:

http://www.nethack.org

No need for *any* other game. ;-) Includes little other games like
master mind and boulder dash as in-game riddles, as well. But that's
just a bonus for a disturbingly ;-) intelligent D&D game. Can make
real life look irreal - and like a gray sketch done by an ungifted
artist. I have to admit: I'm addicted to that one since about 1991.
And I played predecessors back in the eighties.
(and please keep cross-posting - some news servers don't carry ACFG).

Can only post to acf. The servers I use don't have acfg. :)

BeAr

Bill Day

Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

TIA :)

Susan
well, for a total time waster, you might try this pool/billiards thing
http://mindbluff.com/gamebilliards.htm (It is 'possible' to locate
the script and download it, but it is easier to just use the link)

A simple little game you can play in a very short time. Waste time!
Challenge yourself! Knock the little balls about at random. All you do
is click where you want the cue ball to hit..... I guess if there's
any 'goal', it's to aim for getting all ten red balls in 10
shots...not real easy! Doing it in under 'par' would be VERY good.

*hint* it's easier if you enlarge the page a number of times (and even
F-11 for full page display)...but leave at least a bit of the yellow
border to click in....when your cursor is in the game area, it will
only shoot the cue-- you must click outside the game area in order to
reduce size or F-11 back to regular view again.

Have fun....don't get lost..

then, if you want more realism, and the ability to use English and
power levels, try this
http://emeraldisle-ejs.us/tripleace/Java/pool_v2/poolgame.htm

where you can actually play against the computer....which you will
swear has a personality after awhile. This one can easily be
downloaded and kept on your computer.

ellis_jay

Susan said:
I like this Scrabble clone:

Program: Networdz
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/scrabblesetup.exe
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/instructions.pdf

Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

TIA :)

Susan

How about pogo?

I play online pinochle at www.mysticisland.net

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

Eugene Esterly III

It's kind of hard to pick a my favorite freeware game since I have 1.53
GB+ of freeware games & it is growing all the time mainly because I
love freeware games & freeware software.

But I really like the game called Astral Arrows which can be downloaded
from http://www.games4win.com/games/astral-arrows/ .

drussell

Susan said:
I like this Scrabble clone:

Program: Networdz
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/scrabblesetup.exe
http://www.zamazam.com.au/scrabble/instructions.pdf

Please post *your* favorite game(s) (and please keep cross-posting -
some news servers don't carry ACFG).

NetHack was already mentioned, but its predecessors Rogue and Hack can
be very addictive as well. I've made two ports of Rogue that feature
tile graphics and sounds:

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/TileRogue.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/ClassicRogue.htm

and a port of Hack with color and sounds:

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/RevivedHack.htm

There are versions for Windows, Linux, GameBoy Advance and PalmOS
(RevivedHack only).

You can also play the original DOS versions of Rogue under DosBox. You
can find links in the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(computer_game)

-Donnie

Eugene Esterly III

I love Dosbox espically since many freeware games & lots of commerical
software is written in Dos & Window 2000 & above (I have Win XP) has
very little Dos support.