Far Cry Demo

Paul H

I'm trying to get the Far Cry demo going.
Game menus are fine, but once into the game, I have the HUD and otherwise a
light blue screen - no graphics. Game play is unaffected but I can't drive
the boat. It's as though I'm looking at the sky.
Tried last and current NVidia drivers which play all other games. 5900 card
and Athlon 2600 - no problems with anything else.
Any suggestions?

doc

So I guess this will not work with laptop Nvidia "GO" chipset drivers, huh ?
I can't install dets or forcewear. The game installs, I can configure and
everything, but the "loading" bar stops at around 90% and that's all she
wrote.

::
:: doc
::
:: (e-mail address removed)
:

Jimmy S.

Hi Paul,

I looked through Google groups, and there's at least one other
person complaining about this issue, however he has an ATI.

Here's the recommended spec's from UBI: (http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php)

a.. Computer: 2 GHz CPU
a.. Memory: 512 MB RAM
a.. DirectX 9.0b must be installed
a.. Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03
http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Do you have DX 9.0b and the 53.03 drivers installed?

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Jimmy S.

Laptops are great, but it costs a pretty penny to get the
right type of video hardware needed for gaming ordered.

I'm still waiting for those prices to drop before buying one.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| So I guess this will not work with laptop Nvidia "GO" chipset drivers, huh ?
| I can't install dets or forcewear. The game installs, I can configure and
| everything, but the "loading" bar stops at around 90% and that's all she
| wrote.
|
| ::
| :: doc
| ::
| :: (e-mail address removed)
| :
|
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Paul,
| >
| > I looked through Google groups, and there's at least one other
| > person complaining about this issue, however he has an ATI.
| >
| > Here's the recommended spec's from UBI: (http://farcry.ubi.com/demo.php)
| >
| > a.. Computer: 2 GHz CPU
| > a.. Memory: 512 MB RAM
| > a.. DirectX 9.0b must be installed
| > a.. Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03
| > http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
| >
| > Do you have DX 9.0b and the 53.03 drivers installed?

| > | Game menus are fine, but once into the game, I have the HUD and
| otherwise a
| > | light blue screen - no graphics. Game play is unaffected but I can't
| drive
| > | the boat. It's as though I'm looking at the sky.
| > | Tried last and current NVidia drivers which play all other games. 5900
| card
| > | and Athlon 2600 - no problems with anything else.
| > | Any suggestions?
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

Haplo

I'm trying to get the Far Cry demo going.
Game menus are fine, but once into the game, I have the HUD and otherwise a
light blue screen - no graphics. Game play is unaffected but I can't drive
the boat. It's as though I'm looking at the sky.
Tried last and current NVidia drivers which play all other games. 5900 card
and Athlon 2600 - no problems with anything else.
Any suggestions?

Did you try turning off the AA in the Options? I had a similar problem
and that solved it for me.

Haplo

Paul H

I didn't have the 53.03 installed, only the latest via the MS update
website. However after downloading them, it made no difference. I have
9.0b and 1Gb of RAM and a 2.6 CPU so no problem there - the fact that the
game is running despite the blue screen suggests video driver problems but I
don't know what else to try.
I have put AA off (which is the default anyway) and even gone down to
640x480 and I still see the same light blue screen. If I press B i get the
binocs come up but with a blue view again.

Jimmy S.

I guess the question would be whether you want to set a restore
point and tinker with your system settings to get this one game
to work or not. So what will it be Paul, are you feeling lucky? ;-)

| I didn't have the 53.03 installed, only the latest via the MS update
| website. However after downloading them, it made no difference. I have
| 9.0b and 1Gb of RAM and a 2.6 CPU so no problem there - the fact that the
| game is running despite the blue screen suggests video driver problems but I
| don't know what else to try.
| I have put AA off (which is the default anyway) and even gone down to
| 640x480 and I still see the same light blue screen. If I press B i get the
| binocs come up but with a blue view again.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Paul H

how will that help - restore to what?!
I might trying forcing a Dx reinstall in case I haven't got all the
components I need in place. plus I hae several other PCs I can install on
to see if it works on another.
I just want to see if game looks any good!

Jimmy S.

Hi Paul,

| how will that help - restore to what?!

The concept of system restore is to be able to restore your system to
exactly the state it was in when you created the restore point. :)
--
How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

| I might trying forcing a Dx reinstall in case I haven't got all the
| components I need in place. plus I hae several other PCs I can install on
| to see if it works on another.
| I just want to see if game looks any good!

Great! Just make sure the other PC you install it on meets the requirements
of the game. I posted that list in a previous post to you in this thread. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User