Fallout 3 Replay

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been playing Fallout 3 again these past few weeks, and boy did I miss some big things last time I played it. It's like a whole new game, because there are so many quests and areas of the map that I can explore!

I think last time I just concentrated on the main quests far too much (and played it as a good guy). Now I've got an evil character and I'm exploring lots of the fun sidequests :)

If you've played it once already, check out this list of sidequests to see if you've missed anything :thumb: :

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_quests

Reaction score
Love it as much as I did I just got bored. Far too much to do and sub tasks given to be able to progress

Not played it now for over a month. Simply havent got the time :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Must admit I haven't played it much, mostly because it won't run on my main PC because the Asus sound card I have (see sig) won't work with it. It also won't work with Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV, which uses the same Bethesda Game Engine.

So Fallout 3 is on the bedroom computer.

I will return to it though, I even bought the guide book from GAME, cos I thought it was very good indeed.

First time through, I'll just concentrate on the main quests.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just had a look at the latest drivers for that card, and the description thinks it should work now, at least in Oblivion - whether or not it does fix the problem is a different matter though!

DescriptionXonar D2/PM driver for Windows Vista 32/64-bit Version: 6.12.8.1747
Upgrade new DS3D GX v.2.5 3D sound engine to support more vivid environmental reverberation sound effects for games and music.
Fixed Bugs:
1.No music in Mass Effects game
2.Crash issue in Oblivion game

I tried to post the link to the drivers, but it uses javascript to redirect - but it's from the asus support website :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've already loaded those drivers, they were issued on 29th September last year, I mentioned in another thread here somewhere.

After installing them Fallout 3 worked well for about 30 minutes then crashed. Then refused to start. Oblivion had the same problem.

I check back at the Asus site regularly but it seems by now they don't intend to issue a fix.

Disappointing, as the sound card is very good, as are the two games :(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Fallout 3 is a fantastic game - havent gotten the chance to play the expansions.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I searched the Asus forums tonight, thougt maybe I'd found the answer. Applied fix (deleting some old Creative software) played Oblivion, it lasted 15 minutes and crashed to an oscillating Asus sound card.

Loaded Fallout 3 on again, same thing happened.

Either Asus or Bethesdsa is at fault.

Sad to say, in this instance I do rather suspect Asus.

I do wish they'd find a solution though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Shame that, as it's a very good game - fingers crossed they get it sorted :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Must be an asus problem - as my X-fi works just fine. Its a shame, Fallout 3 is a good game.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Must be an asus problem - as my X-fi works just fine. Its a shame, Fallout 3 is a good game.

Well yes Alf, I think we've determined that ;)

I had an X-Fi Audio in there previously and Oblivion worked fine. The Asus sound card sounds so much better than the X-Fi though, so it's a problem.

What to do eh?

But as I've mentioned before, not all is lost as both Oblivion and Fallout 3 run fine on my AMD/XP machine, which has a lowly Audigy 2 soundcard in it.

In fact, after just getting my ass whupped at CoD2 online in loadsa custom maps I'd never seen before, I may just troll through to the bedroom and have an hour or so of Fallout 3 :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
ah, call me blind :D
is there any particular reason that you hang on the asus card? Or are games using the Oblivion engine the only ones giving you prpblems?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
ah, call me blind :D
is there any particular reason that you hang on the asus card? Or are games using the Oblivion engine the only ones giving you prpblems?

Yes, it cost a small fortune and sounds great :)

And so far, I've only had problems with the two Bethesda titles, yes.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Thats a shame. As long as those are the only problems your experienceing then i suppose its OK.

Reaction score
Need to play it on a 360

I have played Fallout 3 on xbox 360 and its a massive free roaming game but it feels like i'll never get to the end. Got fed up and put it down for awhile.
I have never played a game on pc, well not a proper game anyway.
Dont think i could handle the keyboard.
Does anyone fancy an old original xbox? Tell me how to transfer the memory of all the games played on it and its free to a good PCR members home.
:) Zzzzz

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I too am just playing Fallout 3 again for the millionth time, but after so much - i want something to spice it up.
I do have a few mods already
-increased spawns
-quantum for all
-slower leveling

etc.

But right now im looking for some good weapon mods - ones that add something new to the game. I honestly don't care for certain mods (Ak47, Desert Eagle, lightsaber, Coulds Buster sword...)
But any suggestions are welcome!

btw feels free to list any other mods you might be running! thanks!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well :eek:

Finally came back to Fallout 3 today and have spent a total of six hours playing it.

Blimey.

And I'm only up to level 3 (Finding Friendship bit, just after Chevy Chase Metro Station).

Such an addictive game and very very good, imo.

Quite hard in places as well, you really do have to think a lot sometimes.

I've just been doing the sidequests I fancy, have completed three so far.

The official strategy guide is ok but not half as good as the Oblivion guide. In fact I've hardly looked at it, which may mean that Fallout 3 was better develeoped/planned than Oblivion.

And it looks gorgeous too but using my BFG 8800GTS 640Mb card means it stutters a little when changing areas.

The weather was excellent today, I have been woodworking outside in the open air but have spent just as much time indoors playing Fallout 3 :blush:

Great game, but I'm definitely getting meself out and about tomorrow if the weather's good ;)

Ask a Question