Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just finished it :)

I've been playing this game on and off for at least 18 months but only went to it occasionally.

For the last five evenings (apart from Friday & Saturday - pub and 21st party disco respectively) I got into it quite intensely and spent 3-5 hours on it each time.

And then suddenly, about 15 minutes ago, it finished :(

Although it's getting on for 3 years old now I would thoroughly recommend this game.

I must confess to using the official strategy guide but not all the time, only when I got stuck. And without the guide to be quite honest I think it would take forever and a day to complete.

A very immersive world, day and night, horse riding and brilliant graphics, it just cheered me up each time I played it.

I played as an Orc Fighter, used little magic and used the Enhanced Katana sword as my main weapon.

I can still go back and do most of the sidequests, I only completed about five, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy those so much as the main quest.

It seems it took me a little over 41 hours to complete the game's main quest. That's good value when you consider the game and both expansions can be had for £20.00 or less if you buy the 'Game Of The Year' edition.

So now going to get into Fallout 3, another game from the same Bethesda stable.

So, I wonder when the next Elder Scrolls epsiode is out?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Orc? meh - ive always been a High elf myself. :)
I've spent hundreds of hours on that game, in time i will go and play through it again.

Reaction score
I got this game a few days ago on my xbox

I've played it for 10 minutes it looked good

I was a bit confused by the gameplay or where to go though thanks for the information
I'm sure it is a great great game.

Reaction score
Its about time,Sir.:p
Great game with endless hours of play.
I also have the shivering isles add on.
Played through 3 times now.
I find something new every time.
I can't wait for the next one.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
troy614 said:
Its about time,Sir.:p
Great game with endless hours of play.
I also have the shivering isles add on.
Played through 3 times now.
I find something new every time.
I can't wait for the next one.

Hiya Troy :) :wave:

I'm heavily into Timeshift atm but when I've finished that I'm going to play all the side quests I can manage in Oblivion :thumb:

And after that I may select a different class and play the whole thing through again using magic as my main weapon.

btw, I only found out half way through you could quick travel, I spent lots of time horse riding between towns :blush: Which, in it's own way, can be kinda fun cos you find lots of new places.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps - does Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV run on Vista, do you know please? I see that it says XP platform, but I know some XP programmes run perfectly well in Vista too, just wondered whether you have tried it at all? Thanks in advance :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Flopps - does Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV run on Vista, do you know please? I see that it says XP platform, but I know some XP programmes run perfectly well in Vista too, just wondered whether you have tried it at all? Thanks in advance :D

Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV ran perfectly in Vista for me.

Only probs I've had with it are issues with my Asus DX2 pci-e sound card.

If you do decide to go for it prepare for a very immersive game, a small learning curve and I would thoroughly recommend the official game guide to avoid frustration/getting lost.

I wondered if using the guide was a cheat but imo it isn't, it actually provides a deeper understanding of each scenario and avoids lots of frustration wondering which path to take.

Having said that, even with the guide, you still have choices.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy reply Flopps, I am just looking at it over in Amazon. It sounds good - I've been playing GW for more than a year and get the feeling I'd enjoy Oblivion too, so think I will give it a go. :thumb: Thanks for the advice re the guide - useful to know :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Decided to play through it again this time i chose to add some mods to make things more interesting!

The biggest mod i have is OOO
(oscuro's Obivion Overhaul)

And wow... with this one mod, really changes up everything in the game - the difficulty has been ramped up. Kinda reminds me of Morrowind in just how fragile you are!
OOO adds tons of new weapons, readjusted magic, fixed economy and bartering.

Everything is balanced out with a risk/reward system - more deadly the enemies = vastly superior items (assusming you can lockpick them, Hard and Very hard locks cannot be picked with lvl 5 skills anymore!)

LOVING OBLIVION AGAIN!

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you for the speedy reply Flopps, I am just looking at it over in Amazon. It sounds good - I've been playing GW for more than a year and get the feeling I'd enjoy Oblivion too, so think I will give it a go. :thumb: Thanks for the advice re the guide - useful to know :D

Hi Taffy,

Is GW gears of war or god of war ???I have played em both and amnow stuck in gears of war 2 so i started playing world at war, when i'm not here posting stuff. I think i was postman in an earlier life.
Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Taffy,

Is GW gears of war or god of war ???I have played em both and am now stuck in gears of war 2 so i started playing world at war, when i'm not here posting stuff. I think i was postman in an earlier life.
Zzzzz

Hi there Zed, no, the GW I meant is Guild Wars, I have all of the campaigns and it remains a firm favourite. Ever played that one?

I'm enjoying Oblivion too, but I haven't gone far with that yet, because I'm still getting the feel of the controls etc., (it's a bit like switching from a manual gearbox to an automatic, sort-of :lol:) but good fun. I also can't decide whether "eating rat meat" is a "good" thing or a hinder... as Flopps advised, I must get the guide :D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi there Zed, no, the GW I meant is Guild Wars, I have all of the campaigns and it remains a firm favourite. Ever played that one?

I'm enjoying Oblivion too, but I haven't gone far with that yet, because I'm still getting the feel of the controls etc., (it's a bit like switching from a manual gearbox to an automatic, sort-of :lol:) but good fun. I also can't decide whether "eating rat meat" is a "good" thing or a hinder... as Flopps advised, I must get the guide :D

Hi Taffy
Ya dont need anymore than this for your guide. This site covers nearly every game made, i think.
I hope i havent ruined anything for ya.....but i think this is better than paying for the official guide.
I never use the guides unless i'm seriously stuck.
I'm playing world at war and i'm in about ten levels and so far i havent gone near the guide. I must check GW out to see what its about.
Zzzzz

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Zed. Were you intending to include a link in there? And if so, was it maybe to the guide over on "Gamepressure" website? Actually, I'm saying duh, because it didn't occur to me to look there until just now, when I read your post, so you've managed to inspire me again ;) I just read enough to know if I'm on the right lines - and it seems that I am, so yay! Go Taffy go!! :D

Reaction score
psd99 said:
I got this game a few days ago on my xbox

I've played it for 10 minutes it looked good

I was a bit confused by the gameplay or where to go though thanks for the information
I'm sure it is a great great game.

How do you mean you got it on your XBOX....did you download it from MS ??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi Zed. Were you intending to include a link in there? And if so, was it maybe to the guide over on "Gamepressure" website? Actually, I'm saying duh, because it didn't occur to me to look there until just now, when I read your post, so you've managed to inspire me again ;) I just read enough to know if I'm on the right lines - and it seems that I am, so yay! Go Taffy go!! :D

I'm very,very sorry about that Taffy.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/hints.html

I'm actually laughing with embarrassment......there was me trying to be cool and all and then i do summat like that....well thats just me all over. Any time i ever try to help the opposite sex i f**k it up noend.
I'm just an old little boy. Anyway i had a nose on the GW site and its a bit scary i have to say...i dont usually go for that type of game. It looks like an rpg....is it??
Sorry again
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a look at that link CZ and all I can say is I don't regret paying a tenner for the official guide.

It's quite a large guide and has lots of maps and pictures and covers all side quests as well as the main mission.

You can get the game and two add-ons for twenty quid or less now now so for £30.00 or less including a very informative and enjoyable guide, I think you'd be getting your money's worth.

And it's a long game.

But, ya know, each to their own ;)

Oh, and I didn't use any cheats either :)

I will get round to doing all the side quests one day, I only completed about 3 whilst playing the main quest.

Talking of Guides and Oblivion, I also bought the guide for Oblivion's sister game - Fallout 3. Now this guide cost me £13.00 and I have to say it probably was not worth the money, I've hardly looked at it at all.

I think this is because compared to Oblivion, Fallout 3 seems almost linear, very easy to follow.

And TC: I never ate the rat meat meself, I think it was more harmful than good but I was never really sure either.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
captain zed said:
I'm very,very sorry about that Taffy.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/hints.html

I'm actually laughing with embarrassment......there was me trying to be cool and all and then i do summat like that....well thats just me all over. Any time i ever try to help the opposite sex i f**k it up noend.
I'm just an old little boy. Anyway i had a nose on the GW site and its a bit scary i have to say...i dont usually go for that type of game. It looks like an rpg....is it??
Sorry again
Zzzzz

No worries Zed :D I have done exactly the same thing :blush: on a few occasions :lol:

GW is a MMORPG, I have 14 different characters now, and love a good battle, it's great fun!

floppybootstomp said:
And TC: I never ate the rat meat meself, I think it was more harmful than good but I was never really sure either.

I didn't see any obvious "benefits" either, so think I will be inclined to give up rat, in favour of finding something else - preferably veggie
:p

Reaction score
Hi there FBS,
I meant no disrespect to anyone who buys the official guides. I just offered a link to a free guide is all....i was in pc world today and picked up a world at war guide and it was colossal and it was obviously for people who wanna spend alot more time than i would be willing to give. I usually play a game once and move to the next game. Most of the games i choose are gruellingly hard (for me) and when i'm done i'm quite literally done LOL.
Hope i didnt offend ya man....thats the last thing i'd be trying to do.
Personally i use Gspot for a quick fix if i'm really stuck. After that i dont use guides.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
I love this game i still play it now and again now and i got it when it came out, i also still play it's predcessor morrowind aswell, when you've completed the main and side and guild quests go to a website planet elder scrolls and it has a load of mods and add ons which are fun to mess around with

Ask a Question