From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])
Subject: Re: unable to download .exe files

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

AnilKumar.B.Y

Thanks Alan,
There are no entries under Extension key.
When I right click any shortcut/URL that points to an .exe or a .zip
and click on "save target as" and try to save. It opens an save dialog
window
for a moment and closes without saving.

Alan Edwards said:
What exactly happens when you try?

Are there any entries at all under the Extension key?
If so, then export that key for safety then delete it.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
Hi all,

I have seen many postings regarding .exe files not being downloaded in
IE6 on an WinXP machine. I too have an WInXP machine with SP1 on IE6.
Even I am not able to download .exe, .zip, .gz, etc files from IE6. I
checked the entry in registry as mentioned in ALAN's posting(given
below). There are no entries in that. Could anyone suggest me some
solutions for this. I use InoculanIT antivirus and I have disabled it
now.

*********************
Message 2 in thread
From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

Alan Edwards

I am afraid you have me baffled.
What about normal left-clicking intead of right-clicking?
What happens then?

Unless someone has a better idea, I suggest you try this program to
see what Registry key is being accessed at the time you try.
Regmon: http://www.sysinternals.com/
It takes a little getting used to, but if you persist, you will find
the key.

Please report back if you find the answer so that I and others may
learn.

....Alan

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

AnilKumar.B.Y

Oops...I did left click not right click.
I will let you know after using the REGMON.

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

AnilKumar.B.Y

Sorry...actually I tried both clicks....
At last I got the solution.....thanks to Alan and REGMON.
I opened the regmon and excluded all applications except
IEXPLORER.EXE.
I opened one site that had an .exe/.zip file for download.
I right clicked on it and did a save target as...nothing happened.
But the REGMON captured the culprit

1632 31.09202482 iexplore.exe:2624 QueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\SmartDownload\1.5\Options\Extensions\FileTypes SUCCESS "exe;zip"
1633 31.09218378 iexplore.exe:2624 QueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\SmartDownload\1.5\Options\Extensions\FileTypes SUCCESS "exe;zip"

It was the smartdownload. I removed the 2 extries and now everything
is working file.

Please let me know whether this is correct and also deletion of this
key doesn't cause any harm to my PC.

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

Alan Edwards

Well done!

No, that key is not an IE key and I don't see that removal will hurt.
I don't have it and it is for Netscape SmartDownload.
From what little I have read about it, you may be better off without
it.

Thanks for the feedback.

....Alan

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

AnilKumar.B.Y

Hi,
Again I am getting the same problem after rebooting the PC.
As Alan mentioned The smartdownload is for netscape.
Could you please tell me how do I get rid of this problem?

Alan Edwards said:
Well done!

No, that key is not an IE key and I don't see that removal will hurt.
I don't have it and it is for Netscape SmartDownload.
From what little I have read about it, you may be better off without
it.

Thanks for the feedback.

...Alan

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

Alan Edwards

Disable it or uninstall it.
Read here:
http://wp.netscape.com/computing/download/smartdownload/ib/about.html

This looks like the most relevant part:

24. How can I disable SmartDownload?

To disable SmartDownload, click the Windows Start menu, select
programs, Netscape SmartDownload and Disable.

25. How can I uninstall SmartDownload?

To uninstall SmartDownload, use the Windows Control Panel's Add/Remove
Programs option. The change will take effect after you restart your
browser.

....Alan
--

Alan Edwards said:
Well done!

No, that key is not an IE key and I don't see that removal will hurt.
I don't have it and it is for Netscape SmartDownload.
From what little I have read about it, you may be better off without
it.

Thanks for the feedback.

...Alan

From: Alan Edwards ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak
Date: 2003-01-04 18:46:04 PST

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

**********************************

AnilKumar.B.Y

Thanks Alan, its working now after uninstalling the smartdownload.

Alan Edwards said:
Well done!

No, that key is not an IE key and I don't see that removal will hurt.
I don't have it and it is for Netscape SmartDownload.
From what little I have read about it, you may be better off without
it.

Thanks for the feedback.

...Alan