excel quits after i open a already made .xls

Reaction score
excel 2002 quits after i open a .xls file, this happend after i installed sp3 update for office, i tried to uninstall it and load it with out the updates but it gives me a error then, and if i do a reinstall it doesnt do anything. the file im trying to open works on 2 other comps so i know its not the file,

please help

thanks in advance
George

Reaction score
anybody please?

if anybody wants to see the .xls file im having problems with i'd be glad to send it

Last edited:
G

What, with no information to work on?

Seriously, what's in the file, Is there a macro running that closes it, is
your operating system corrupt, is Excel corrupt? What fault finding did you
do till now? Without info, no one will elp you, cos no one then can!

G

garfield-n-odie

I'm sure you think that saying "but it gives me a error" is
enough, but we can't see your screen from here, so it might help
us to help you if you tell us exactly what the error message says.

Reaction score
i wish it did give me a error message truth is it just exits, i could prove this over VNC if need be, there absolutly is no log of the error in event manager but if i open excel by itself or with another .xls file it shows the recovery panel to the left and if i click it it exits, and it only occurs with this computer and this .xls file all the other ones work,
i was thinking about trying a xls recovery program but why would this file work on all the other computers running office xp or 2k3 but not this one???

G

garfield-n-odie

In your original post, you say Excel "gives me a error" (yes,
that is a direct quote from your post). Now you say there is
absolutely no error message, and you can prove it. Possibly the
error message appears or disappears depending on the operator's
sobriety?

Assuming the problem is in the Excel installation on that
particular computer, then you might try the Excel troubleshooting
steps listed in http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm .

When the file was opened on a later Excel version, something may
have become corrupted in the file that makes it hang when opened
in Excel 2000. You might try the corrupt Excel file recovery
procedures given by Norman Harker in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_frm/thread/816aca1f6d120cd8
.. Be sure to make several backup copies of your original Excel
file, and attempt the recovery procedures on a copy, not on the
original.

Reaction score
lol ur right that doesnt make sense, heres how it went i loaded sp3 and it wouldnt stop giving me errors and closing right away, after that i tried reinstalling along with repair didnt do anything but there were a few more office updates so i just installed them, that took care of the error i was getting, but im still stuck with the problem of office xp not staying open after loadng the file, so i unistalled office xp and loaded office 2003 to try it out and it does the same thing, yet the same files works on my laptop with 2003sp1 and 2003 on another computer, im guessing my only bet is to format and reinstall windows on this computer which i will most likly do tomorrow

btw i already had tried the excel safe mode along with the xlstart trick, didnt work as well

Ask a Question