Error when Scanning to Email

Reaction score
Hi Everyone... I'm hopping I can find answers here. I'm going crazy over this one.

I have a user that is running Outlook 2002 on Windows XP and has a Brother MFC-5860CN All-In-One attached to his laptop via USB.

After Citrix was installed on his laptop, my user is unable to use the feature "scan to email". Everytime he tries he gets an error "The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using."

I researched the error and went to Microsoft's site for the fix. This is what it gave me:

1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs or Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. In Windows Explorer, edit the file type. To do this, follow these steps, as appropriate for the version of Windows that you are running: • For Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, follow these steps:
a. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
b. On the File Types tab, click
URL:MailTo Protocol under the (NONE) section, and then click Advanced.
c. Under Actions, click Open, and then click Edit.
d. If you are running Microsoft Outlook 2002, type the following text under Application used to perform action:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

I tried this step and still getting the error message.

I even went to the extent of uninstalling and installing MS Office Standard on his machine. Only thing I haven't tried is re-installing the all-in-one's drivers (he can't find the disk that came with it). The worse part of this all is he's a remote user for my company!

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try next? Its driving me insane trying to think why it wont scan to email. I can scan to file, just not to email.

Someone please help :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ooooo.... sounds like a common setup issue that RDC users of terminal services etc get.
I bet that it works locally..... the issue occures whilst they using the Citrix client.

Should be an option to allow emulation of the usb port it connects via and you need to install the s/w on the host.

Reaction score
JaLing said:
the issue occures whilst they using the Citrix client.

He's actually not using Citrix, the application was pushed through our network. He's VPN'd in and accessing his email the regular way.

Would Citix still get in the way of him being able to scan to email?

Ask a Question