Error 80070002 Keeping me from scanning

Matt S.

I keep getting the error 80070002, cannot find the file specified. When I
click on scan inside Defender. But, it will scan just fine if you scan for
spyware using tuneup on OneCare... The only reason I want to scan from
defender itself is because it keeps telling me I need to and its putting an
icon in the tray. And since tuning up on Onecare takes so long and INSISTS
on defraging every single time.

Steve Wechsler [MVP]

Matt said:
I keep getting the error 80070002, cannot find the file specified. When I
click on scan inside Defender. But, it will scan just fine if you scan for
spyware using tuneup on OneCare... The only reason I want to scan from
defender itself is because it keeps telling me I need to and its putting an
icon in the tray. And since tuning up on Onecare takes so long and INSISTS
on defraging every single time.

Matt,

Try this, go to Start, Run, type in

regsvr32 softpub.dll

Click OK or press Enter. Then do the same for :

regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

If WD still throws that error message, reregister these files in the
same manner :

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll

Does WD scan now ?

Steve Wechsler (akaMowGreen)
MS - MVP 2003-2006
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Steve Wechsler [MVP] said:
Matt S. wrote:

> I keep getting the error 80070002, cannot find the file specified. When I
> click on scan inside Defender. But, it will scan just fine if you scan for
> spyware using tuneup on OneCare... The only reason I want to scan from
> defender itself is because it keeps telling me I need to and its putting an
> icon in the tray. And since tuning up on Onecare takes so long and INSISTS
> on defraging every single time.

Matt,

Try this, go to Start, Run, type in

regsvr32 softpub.dll

Click OK or press Enter. Then do the same for :

regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

If WD still throws that error message, reregister these files in the
same manner :

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll

Does WD scan now ?

Steve Wechsler (akaMowGreen)
MS - MVP 2003-2006
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Thanks for the suggestions, and I imagine they worked because I'm getting a different error:
Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x80004003. Invalid pointer
The race is on! Can we fix this before M$ even hears that there's a problem?

I think so!

plun

Hi

I confirm this bug with latest defs......

A manual scan works (from WDs menu)

regards
plun

Matt S.

Well thats exactly what doesnt work. I can scan using wd from within
onecare.. but if i try to scan from wd itself.. just pressing scan.. it pops
the error.

plun

Hi

I got the "3 days warning" about no scans from WD
and this fault message when I started the scan from the warning.

Well, MS probably has a mess with XP One Care and Defender and Vistas
Defender/One Care .... trapped within different logics...

;)

regards
plun

Dave M

Matt;
I think something is being lost in the Swedish>English translation. Open
Defender, then just to the right of the Scan button on the Home page of WD,
you'll see a downward pointing arrow, click it and chose a scan type...
what happens?

Steve Wechsler [MVP]

Matt said:
Well thats exactly what doesnt work. I can scan using wd from within
onecare.. but if i try to scan from wd itself.. just pressing scan.. it pops
the error.

Have you seen Dave's post, Matt ? :
Matt;
I think something is being lost in the Swedish>English translation. Open
Defender, then just to the right of the Scan button on the Home page of WD,
you'll see a downward pointing arrow, click it and chose a scan type...
what happens?

-- Regards, Dave

Steve Wechsler (akaMowGreen)
MS - MVP 2003-2006
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

plun

Well

He just explain that he could only scan within One care.

I explain that I couldn´t scan from WDs "3 days warning box" but from
WDs Scan menu

Typical mismatch within software logic...(probably a challenge)

I am not a scanner user and I´m not using One Care.

regards
plun

Tom Emmelot

Hi Plun,

i think that the different time settings again making the trouble!!

Regards >*< TOM >*<

plun schreef:

plun

Hi

I just did that to show the fault. And I changed date...;)

I can reproduce it how many times I want.

It IS a BUG.

With a real "Bugzilla" system this was easily reported ;)
http://www.bugzilla.org/

But this is not Bugzilla.............

regards
plun

Bill Sanderson MVP

Is your system set to do a full scan, in Tools, general settings, automatic
scanning, type of scan?

If you click the down arrow to the right of the word Scan in the menus, and
choose quickscan, does that work--that should be the same as you are getting
via OneCare.

Have you run a chkdsk on this system?

Matt S.

I guess my problem was only with the scan but on the frontpage.. When you
clicked on the dropdown menu beside scan. It scanned..

Bill Sanderson MVP

Excellent. This is a bug. It will likely be fixed in the next revision of
the User Interface part of the product--which hasn't been released yet.

alberto macario

This is my first actual post but I've been following some issues and I have
been seeing a couple of things happen when I get the error 800700002.

1.- If I keep the error window open for a while and check the Event viewer
after a couple of minutes it runs the scan and the alert in the HOME screen
that warns me about the 3 days without scanning goes to (GREEN color) and
states that the scan completed with no found errors. Then I can close the
error window and no more errors until the next signature update.

2.-The issue always has happened to me after a signature update...

It seems to me that when the program tries to load the new registry values
with the new Updated signatures it is still looking for the old signatures
and that is when it gives me the file not found error..It's a long shot but
maybe the program is not refreshing the signature definitions until after
the scan runs in the background of the error and then it does eliminating
the error...

Albert

Bill Sanderson MVP

Excellent observations, I think. There was a bug earlier in the beta where
scans crashed if an update came in during the scan. I don't recall the
details well, but perhaps this is the same issue, or a variation.

I believe this is a known issue, and awaiting a revision to the UI portion
of the program to fix it.