Did Microsoft Security Essentials take place of Windows Defender?

Pam b

Windows Defender does not work on my computer; I had not used it in the past,
but used OneCare and SpySweeper. Now I have changed to Microsoft Essentials,
and my scan is flagging Windows Defender as not on, when I try to turn it on,
it errors out.

My understanding is you should only have one antivirus at a time ... did
Microsoft Security Essentials take the place of Windows Defender? Is there
something I need to do to catch my system up to this, if so?

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

Yes. MSE includes and expands upon the protection of Defender. They
should not be run at the same time and installing MSE will disable
Defender (remove from XP).
-steve

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:39:07 -0700, Pam b <Pam

rhmercer

You did not tell the person to click on the above link, you might be talking
to a beginner or who ever reads this my be a beginner. Your statements should
be address to the lowest type of reader. You will more people that way.
Please pass this replay to ALL Microsoft so they instruct to all audiences!
Thank You for all the help you have given to this group! BobM.

Bill Sanderson

This is a useful reminder.

You should know, however, that the vast majority of responders and messages
in these groups are written by others like yourself--users of Microsoft
software who are interested in helping others. It has been many months
since I saw a message here from a Microsoft staff person, for example.