DVD-RW drive only recognized by XP as a CD drive

Jim Helfer

I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install
of XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).

The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it
as a proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to
it, or use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD
burning functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it
back.

I have installed a OEM-Nero Express suite, and that functions
properly, so I am confident that the drive is good. Windows just
doesn't seem to recognize the drive as a writeable drive.

Any suggestions apreciated.

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Jim Helfer said:
I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install of
XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).

The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it as a
proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to it, or
use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD burning
functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it back.

I have installed a OEM-Nero Express suite, and that functions properly,
so I am confident that the drive is good. Windows just doesn't seem to
recognize the drive as a writeable drive.

Any suggestions apreciated.

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court

You will have to use the In-CD function of Nero if you want to
write data to this drive under Windows. If you don't then Windows
will see it as a readable CD/DVD drive.

David Webb

Verify that Desktop CD recording has been enabled for that drive. From My
Computer > right-click on the drive > select Properties > click on Recording
tab.

| I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install
| of XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).
|
| The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it
| as a proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to
| it, or use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD
| burning functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it
| back.
|
| I have installed a OEM-Nero Express suite, and that functions
| properly, so I am confident that the drive is good. Windows just
| doesn't seem to recognize the drive as a writeable drive.
|
| Any suggestions apreciated.
|
| --
| Jim Helfer
| Computer Systems Administrator
| WTW Architects
| Timber Court
| 127 Andesron St.
| Pittsburgh PA 15212
| 412-321-0551 x330
| (e-mail address removed)

Detlev Dreyer

Jim Helfer said:
I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install of
XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).

The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it as
a proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to it,
or use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD burning
functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it back.

"How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or
CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/en-us

Jim Helfer

Detlev said:
"How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or
CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/en-us

I followed the KB instructions here. In the registry key mentioned in
KB 316529 indeed the drive type was listed as a CD ("1"). I changed that
to a CD-RW, which brought up the Recording tab on the drive properties
sheet, where I was able to enable recording. I also had to start the
imapi CD Burning service.

No Joy. When I tried to write a CD all I get is
"There is no writeable CD in the drive"

I deleted and had the drive redected several times, once in Safe Mode.
Each time the drive was redected properly,but CD writing was disabled
again. Each time I renabled it I got the error about not having a CD in
the drive.

Tried with two different DVD drives (different manufacturers),
different IDE cable. Also ran system file checker. Windows refuses to
budge on their "There is no working DVD in here" position.

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Andesron St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, have you tried the following article Detlev Dreyer has
mentioned as below:
324129: How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R
or CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/en-us

In addition, I also suggest you try the following steps to see if it can
help:

Note: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Run box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
The class ID is for your DVD-RW device.
4. In the right pane, click Upperfilters, and then press DELETE.
When you are prompted to do so, click Yes to confirm the deletion.
5. In the right pane, click Lowerfilters, and then press DELETE.
When you are prompted to do so, click Yes to confirm the deletion.
6. Restart your computer.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:50:13 -0400
| From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: DVD-RW drive only recognized by XP as a CD drive
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Detlev Dreyer wrote:
| >
| >> I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install of
| >> XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).
| >>
| >> The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it as
| >> a proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to
it,
| >> or use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD
burning
| >> functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it back.
| >
| > "How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or
| > CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP"
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/en-us
| >

| I followed the KB instructions here. In the registry key mentioned in
| KB 316529 indeed the drive type was listed as a CD ("1"). I changed that
| to a CD-RW, which brought up the Recording tab on the drive properties
| sheet, where I was able to enable recording. I also had to start the
| imapi CD Burning service.
|
| No Joy. When I tried to write a CD all I get is
| "There is no writeable CD in the drive"
|
| I deleted and had the drive redected several times, once in Safe Mode.
| Each time the drive was redected properly,but CD writing was disabled
| again. Each time I renabled it I got the error about not having a CD in
| the drive.
|
| Tried with two different DVD drives (different manufacturers),
| different IDE cable. Also ran system file checker. Windows refuses to
| budge on their "There is no working DVD in here" position.
|

| --
| Jim Helfer
| Computer Systems Administrator
| WTW Architects
| Timber Court
| 127 Andesron St.
| Pittsburgh PA 15212
| 412-321-0551 x330
| (e-mail address removed)

Detlev Dreyer

Jim Helfer said:
I followed the KB instructions here. In the registry key mentioned in KB 316529
indeed the drive type was listed as a CD ("1"). I changed that to a CD-RW,
which brought up the Recording tab on the drive properties sheet, where
I was able to enable recording. I also had to start the imapi CD Burning
service.

No Joy. When I tried to write a CD all I get is
"There is no writeable CD in the drive"

I deleted and had the drive redected several times, once in Safe Mode.
Each time the drive was redected properly,but CD writing was disabled again.
Each time I renabled it I got the error about not having a CD in the drive.

Tried with two different DVD drives (different manufacturers), different IDE
cable. Also ran system file checker. Windows refuses to budge on their
"There is no working DVD in here" position.

Well, there might be "ghosted" CD/DVD devices not showing up in the
device manager. "Device Manager does not display devices that are not
connected to the Windows XP-based computer"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us

If this applies, remove all CD/DVD drives from the device manager incl.
all "ghosted" devices. Reboot in order to reinstall that device and try
again.

Jim Helfer

Deleted the registry entry and remove the devices from DevMan once
again - No success. Same problem.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, have you tried the following article Detlev Dreyer has

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Andesron St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Helfer

Tried it. No ghost devices found. Removed device once again, and
again after restart it was detected incorrectly, this time as a
"DVD-RAM" device, and it will not recognize CDs in the drive to write to.

Jim Helfer said:
Tried it. No ghost devices found. Removed device once again, and again
after restart it was detected incorrectly, this time as a "DVD-RAM"
device, and it will not recognize CDs in the drive to write to.

Sounds to me that you have to stick with third-party software (Nero) in
this particular case.

Jim Helfer

Detlev said:
Sounds to me that you have to stick with third-party software (Nero) in
this particular case.

Well, the rub is is that there are about a dozen more computers with
identical hardware and software that operate completely properly with
the DVD.

I just installed two DVD drives on the IDE chain. Niethier were
initially recognized as writeable CDs, but when I went into the
"Recorder" properties page to enable recording for one drive, the other
drive would be automatically disabled!

Screwed up installation that Windows can't fix because there's no way
to tell it that it has a problem. I'm hoping an SATA drive will be
properly recognized, but it might require a reiinstall. Who know what
else is dorked up in there?

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Andesron St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

WaIIy

Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Andesron St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

Jim,

Is your address "Andesron" or Anderson Street ?

windmap

[...]

The problem is not with the drive its with the nero,Nero has blocked
the in built cd burning of windows xp.Install service pack 2 after
uninstalling the nero .Download the nero clean tool from nero website
and completely erase all the traces and registry entries.Update the
Nero to its latest version by obtaining all the updates and patches
from their website.This should resolve the problem.

Jim Helfer

The problem is not with the drive its with the nero,Nero has blocked
the in built cd burning of windows xp.Install service pack 2 after
uninstalling the nero .Download the nero clean tool from nero website
and completely erase all the traces and registry entries.Update the
Nero to its latest version by obtaining all the updates and patches
from their website.This should resolve the problem.

At this point, that's certainly worth trying, but I seem to recall
that the user reported the problem before Nero Express was installed.
And I have never seen Nero cause a problem like this before, I switch
between Nero and Windows CD burning on my machine all the time.

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Anderson St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Helfer

windmap said:
The problem is not with the drive its with the nero,Nero has blocked
the in built cd burning of windows xp.Install service pack 2 after
uninstalling the nero .Download the nero clean tool from nero website
and completely erase all the traces and registry entries.Update the
Nero to its latest version by obtaining all the updates and patches
from their website.This should resolve the problem.

Tried it. Had no effect.

Jim Helfer

Jim said:
I just have a user a new PC which I had performed a "Repair" install of
XP SP2 (because of a change of motherboard).

The machine has a Lite-On DVD RW drive, but XP is not recognizing it as
a proper writeable drive. I can't open the CD folder to add files to
it, or use send to to add files to it. Basically all the built-in CD
burning functionality is missing from XP, and I'm not sure how to get it
back.

I have installed a OEM-Nero Express suite, and that functions properly,
so I am confident that the drive is good. Windows just doesn't seem to
recognize the drive as a writeable drive.

Any suggestions apreciated.

This problem was finally adressed by pulling the IDE based DVD-Rom
drive and replacing it with and IDE one.

Jim

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Jim Helfer said:
This problem was finally adressed by pulling the IDE based DVD-Rom drive
and replacing it with and IDE one.

Jim

Where is the difference?