Problems recognizing USB devices in Media Player 11

Jim Helfer

My boss is having a strange problem with getting Windows Media Player
11 to recognize his USB mp3 players.

"We then did all upgrade/patches, including letting it install Window
Media Player 11, which I think I generally like. Last week, we tried to
connect her iRiver T10 and a new SanDisk Sansa e280. In both cases,
when you plug it into a USB2.0 port (only works on the ones on the rear
of the PC), it tries to install the device and fails. It just shows
"Found New Hardware MTP Device" If you look in device mgr, it has the
yellow ! and just keeps trying to reinstall it. Once or twice it has
flashed the correct device name, but then immediately jumps to the
generic error."

If he downgrades to WMP9, no problem, the devices are recognized. He
went to another computer in the office with the same motherboard (and
mostly the same hardware), with WMP 11, and the devices were recognized
without issue.

So, we have a particular machine and a particular piece of software
that is having a problem with USB. The computer goes to college in a
week and WMP11 is required for the the university's music sharing
program. And we are stumped.

Any suggestions for wrangling the USB and making things work would be
apreciated.

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, do you mean all USB devices cannot be recognized in Windows
Media Player 11 on the specific Windows XP machine? Can USB devices be
recognized in Windows Explorer?

At this moment, I suggest you remove all USB drivers from Device Manager
and then install the latest USB driver for the motherboard to test the
issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:29:30 -0400
| From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| Subject: Problems recognizing USB devices in Media Player 11
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| My boss is having a strange problem with getting Windows Media Player
| 11 to recognize his USB mp3 players.
|
| "We then did all upgrade/patches, including letting it install Window
| Media Player 11, which I think I generally like. Last week, we tried to
| connect her iRiver T10 and a new SanDisk Sansa e280. In both cases,
| when you plug it into a USB2.0 port (only works on the ones on the rear
| of the PC), it tries to install the device and fails. It just shows
| "Found New Hardware MTP Device" If you look in device mgr, it has the
| yellow ! and just keeps trying to reinstall it. Once or twice it has
| flashed the correct device name, but then immediately jumps to the
| generic error."
|
| If he downgrades to WMP9, no problem, the devices are recognized. He
| went to another computer in the office with the same motherboard (and
| mostly the same hardware), with WMP 11, and the devices were recognized
| without issue.
|
| So, we have a particular machine and a particular piece of software
| that is having a problem with USB. The computer goes to college in a
| week and WMP11 is required for the the university's music sharing
| program. And we are stumped.
|
| Any suggestions for wrangling the USB and making things work would be
| apreciated.
|

| --
| Jim Helfer
| Computer Systems Administrator
| WTW Architects
| Timber Court
| 127 Andesron St.
| Pittsburgh PA 15212
| 412-321-0551 x330
| (e-mail address removed)

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jim,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:38:58 GMT
| Subject: RE: Problems recognizing USB devices in Media Player 11
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello Jim,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, do you mean all USB devices cannot be recognized in
Windows
| Media Player 11 on the specific Windows XP machine? Can USB devices be
| recognized in Windows Explorer?
|
| At this moment, I suggest you remove all USB drivers from Device Manager
| and then install the latest USB driver for the motherboard to test the
| issue.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:29:30 -0400
| | From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Problems recognizing USB devices in Media Player 11
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| | connect her iRiver T10 and a new SanDisk Sansa e280. In both cases,
| | when you plug it into a USB2.0 port (only works on the ones on the rear
| | of the PC), it tries to install the device and fails. It just shows
| | "Found New Hardware MTP Device" If you look in device mgr, it has the
| | yellow ! and just keeps trying to reinstall it. Once or twice it has
| | flashed the correct device name, but then immediately jumps to the
| | generic error."
| |
| | If he downgrades to WMP9, no problem, the devices are recognized.
He
| | went to another computer in the office with the same motherboard (and
| | mostly the same hardware), with WMP 11, and the devices were recognized
| | without issue.
| |
| | So, we have a particular machine and a particular piece of software
| | that is having a problem with USB. The computer goes to college in a
| | week and WMP11 is required for the the university's music sharing
| | program. And we are stumped.
| |
| | Any suggestions for wrangling the USB and making things work would be
| | apreciated.
| |
| |
| |