No or very limited

Jim Helfer

This is turning out to be a mysterious one, so I thought I would ask
for some advice, maybe I'm missing something simple.

I am investigating a laptop running Windows Xp sp2 that's having
TCP-IP networking issues. The network icon shows 100mb connection for
the LAN< and the WiFi is connected to our wireless network, however I
cannot ping any other hosts, browse the network, connect to internet
hosts, etc.

The NIC is working properly as far as Device manager tells me, and I'm
not seeing any major errors in the event viewer (because the "not able
to find server" errors).

I've tried System File Checker, and a restore installation, and all
I've gotten for my troubles is instead of ping timeing out, it gets a
destination host unreachable. It seems like something is messed up with
TCP-IP, but I can't figure out what it might be.

Oh, and I've checked for programs that might be blocking comms, such
as firewalls and the like. I'm not seeing them.

Andy Ideas?

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suggest you first try to reset TCP/IP component in
Windows XP.
299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:30:25 -0400
| From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| Subject: No or very limited
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|

| This is turning out to be a mysterious one, so I thought I would ask
| for some advice, maybe I'm missing something simple.
|
| I am investigating a laptop running Windows Xp sp2 that's having
| TCP-IP networking issues. The network icon shows 100mb connection for
| the LAN< and the WiFi is connected to our wireless network, however I
| cannot ping any other hosts, browse the network, connect to internet
| hosts, etc.
|
| The NIC is working properly as far as Device manager tells me, and I'm
| not seeing any major errors in the event viewer (because the "not able
| to find server" errors).
|
| I've tried System File Checker, and a restore installation, and all
| I've gotten for my troubles is instead of ping timeing out, it gets a
| destination host unreachable. It seems like something is messed up with
| TCP-IP, but I can't figure out what it might be.
|
| Oh, and I've checked for programs that might be blocking comms, such
| as firewalls and the like. I'm not seeing them.
|

| Andy Ideas?
|

| --
| Jim Helfer
| Computer Systems Administrator
| WTW Architects
| Timber Court
| 127 Andesron St.
| Pittsburgh PA 15212
| 412-321-0551 x330
| (e-mail address removed)

Malke

Jim said:
[...]

What are your DNS settings?

Malke

Jim Helfer

Ah ! I knew I remembered there being something like this.
Unfortunately, I gave in and did a full reinstall.
Hello Jim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suggest you first try to reset TCP/IP component in

--
Jim Helfer
Computer Systems Administrator
WTW Architects
Timber Court
127 Andesron St.
Pittsburgh PA 15212
412-321-0551 x330
(e-mail address removed)

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your response and let us know you have a full install. If you
have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:45:38 -0400
| From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: No or very limited
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|

| Ah ! I knew I remembered there being something like this.
| Unfortunately, I gave in and did a full reinstall.
|
| Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hello Jim,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, I suggest you first try to reset TCP/IP component in
| > Windows XP.
| > 299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:30:25 -0400
| > | From: Jim Helfer <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: No or very limited
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > |
| > | This is turning out to be a mysterious one, so I thought I would
ask
| > | for some advice, maybe I'm missing something simple.
| > |
| > | I am investigating a laptop running Windows Xp sp2 that's having
| > | TCP-IP networking issues. The network icon shows 100mb connection for
| > | the LAN< and the WiFi is connected to our wireless network, however I
| > | cannot ping any other hosts, browse the network, connect to internet
| > | hosts, etc.
| > |
| > | The NIC is working properly as far as Device manager tells me, and
I'm
| > | not seeing any major errors in the event viewer (because the "not
able
| > | to find server" errors).
| > |
| > | I've tried System File Checker, and a restore installation, and all
| > | I've gotten for my troubles is instead of ping timeing out, it gets a
| > | destination host unreachable. It seems like something is messed up
with
| > | TCP-IP, but I can't figure out what it might be.
| > |
| > | Oh, and I've checked for programs that might be blocking comms,
such
| > | as firewalls and the like. I'm not seeing them.
| > |
| > |
| > | Andy Ideas?
| > |