DVD installation problem

Sean

I installed a LiteOn DVD combo ROM in my computer. I installed the software
that came with it and everything works fine except for NO sound on DVD
playback. Do I have to order any thing else for this to work?

Doc25

Hello, Sean!
You wrote on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:13:02 -0800:

S> I installed a LiteOn DVD combo ROM in my computer. I installed the
S> software that came with it and everything works fine except for NO sound
S> on DVD playback. Do I have to order any thing else for this to work?
S> --
S> wulf

Not knowing the exact model, did you connect the audio bits? See here,
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=8997 for the
back of a model. "On the rear panel there are the analogue and digital
audio outputs (SPDIF), the IDE connector and the power input. "
Doc25

M.I.5¾

Doc25 said:
Hello, Sean!
You wrote on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:13:02 -0800:

S> I installed a LiteOn DVD combo ROM in my computer. I installed the
S> software that came with it and everything works fine except for NO
sound
S> on DVD playback. Do I have to order any thing else for this to work?
S> --
S> wulf

Not knowing the exact model, did you connect the audio bits? See here,
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=8997 for
the back of a model. "On the rear panel there are the analogue and
digital audio outputs (SPDIF), the IDE connector and the power input. "

.... neither of which carry audio when playing a DVD.

The audio is carried encoded into the DVD data stream output via the IDE
port. You didn't say which DVD video player that you have, but some change
the sound mixer settings as they start up and reset them when they close
down. Open your mixer application (usually the loud speaker icon in the
system tray - bottom right corner). The Wave slider should be at maximum
and not muted. The volume control set for comfortable listening. It is
also possible that your player has defaulted to an audio codec that it
doesn't support (such as DTS).