DVD drive - audio playback problems

Reaction score
Whenever I try to play a cd in the DVD drive I have problems with the sound quality.

Sometimes it will play three or four tracks from the cd without incident, other times it has this electrical glitch noise, or the counter (timer thing) moves yet there is no audio, or it just jumps/skips when playing. Also once the first track of a cd played for 20 mins when it is only a four minute track!!! This problem happens in Windows Media Player, and Realplayer.

I've tried different cds (all real ones) and I'm at a loss, I don't know much about computers and its been back three times (as its under warranty - its only 7 months old), firstly they replaced the drive but the second and third times they said they couldn't find a problem. Now they say they won't take it back again unless i can prove there is something wrong.

There is a DVD-RW drive in the computer as well, but I have no problems with that (don't know if that influences anything) and the audio playback for songs on the hard drive is perfect. The DVD drive plays DVDs ok aswell.

I don't really know enough to start opening the base unit and looking at cables (plus i don't know whether that would void my warranty). If anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be I welcome them as I don't know what to do next!

Ask a Question