Duplicate IP after resuming from hibernation ...

So, if I resume from hibernation and another PC has booted into my (home)
network, I will sometimes get this error. Duplicate IP addresses on the
network.

I CAN see how this could happen, if you resume and a different PC has logged
into the network (say, if you've shut everything down and started up the
router again). On the other hand, I could also see that if the system
renewed its IP on resuming it would prevent this.

Obviously it's NOT a BIG deal to renew the IP manually, but is there a way
to force XP to automatically have the IP renewed when resuming from
hibernation to prevent this ?

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

This is a normal behavior when the client is resumed from the hibernation
and the IP address has been re-assigned to another computer. I suppose that
you are using DHCP to allocate IP address in your environment. If you do
not want to see the error message for duplication IP address, just assign a
scope of static IP address for your laptop computers and this scope is not
in the DHCP scopes. So every laptop is using a staic static IP addresses
in your corp network. If you are using DHCP instead of static IP, I am
afraid that you will keep encountering this issue.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.