Drivers for my 8800GT....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I decided to keep the BFG 8800GT OC2 I got for xmas, so now I need to know from all you gaming nuts which nVidia drivers are currently the best for it, or do I just install the latest?

Answers on a postcard please to: Adywebb, About To Enter Gaming Oblivion, Hants, UK :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Should be good enough for a little solitaire and minesweeper I hope :thumb:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Should be good enough for a little solitaire and minesweeper I hope :thumb:

I'm not sure about Ady!
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you got any favorite genres, as we might be able to recommend a game to get started with :) (racing, FPS etc...).

I'm using the latest official ones from NV too at the moment, and they seem to work fine. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I was obviously joking about solitaire etc, but to be honest I have no idea what I want to play as yet - may try some kind of shoot'em up game first?

Before I do that, I need to delete the Ati Display Driver I have on here first - and its a problem - add/remove programs comes up with 'error initialising' for the uninstall
wallbash.gif

Any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
BioShock or Half Life 2 might be good ones to start with :)

For the ATI drivers, perhaps try re-downloading them and then pick the uninstall option when you run it (if it uses the Windows installer).

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I might give that a go Ian - I only installed the basic ATi Display Driver and not the other cr*p so that may be the reason - perhaps it didn't install the uninstaller?

wizkid said:
You could try downloading Driver Cleaner and see if that removes it.
I already had a look at that - in the readme it states you have to uninstall the ATi driver via add/remove programs first then run Driver Cleaner in safe mode - obviously I fail on the first point, but maybe it will work anyway?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Didn't install the catalyst suite Ian - just the basic display driver.........however I have got it done
nod.gif

Uninstalled the Ati drivers direct from Device Manager, then ran Driver Cleaner in safe mode, then a quick delete of a few stray registry entries and seems to have done the trick - 8800GT and nVidia drivers all installed and appear to be working fine :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My suggestions:

(which will probably be pretty much the same as everybody elses)

The Orange Box (Several games all centred around Half Life 2, something of a bargain)
Call Of Duty 4
Call Of Duty 2
Bioshock
Crysis

They're all first person shooters (fps's)

You can now get Timeshift for £13.00 from Play.com, a game which a couple of members here have recommended. At that price, I've just ordered it, it's still £35.00 in my local GAME Shop.

I'm also fond of Oblivion: ElderScrolls 4, a role playing game, which can be picked up now for £20.00 including both expansion packs in High Street GAME shops or online. Play.com prices include p & p btw.

I also like:

Painkiller Black Edition
Painkiller Overdose
FEAR & The 2 add-ons
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 & The 2 add-ons
Civilisation 4 plus add-ons
MS Flight Simulator X (recent expansion pack has also been released)
TOCA Race Driver 3
Most of the Need For Speed series
Dreamfall 1 & 2
Syberia
Dungeon Siege II Deluxe Edition
Far Cry
Max Payne 2

That'll do for now :D

Check out play.com; GAME and HMV online and in the high street, lots of good prices right now.

To play flight simulators a joystick is recommended.

To play driving/racing games at least a gamepad is recommended, preferably cordless. I'd recommend Logitech Gaming hardware :thumb:

If you're rich get the Logitech steering wheel, it's only £160.00 :eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Only 'cos you want to give me a mullering :p
Lol, well i was thinking of the single player bit to start with. :)

Just about all the games Flops posted are good, Crysis especially.

That GT will go well with your 24" screen.

If you want a controller, the Xbox 360 wired pad is fantastic.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GC-000-MS

On a side note, i just got a pair of these for playing Cod on my usual servers, so i can communicate with the team. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You mean this graphics card doesn't do it all automatically for me? :D

Now I have to go spend more money *sigh*

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
With respect I think advising Ady to start buying games like Crysis and COD4 is akin to throwing him straight in at the deep end where the sharks are swimming...

The guy hasn't played 3D games before, he's used to solitaire and card games on the PC..;)

I think in the interests of safety and Ady's brain we need to slot him into 3D gaming slowly and smoothly with something a bit more sedate and user friendly which won't scare the hell out of him and fry his brain in the first 5 minutes..:nod:

Its ok for you hardcore Gamers out there but lets take it a little slowly for the beginner shall we..

I would say something like COD 1 and the United offensive expansion pack which can be picked up in game for around a tenner for both in a multipack, these 2 are story driven and will be alot more enjoyable and easier for a non games player to grasp...These can then be kept as collectors items aswell as they are so good and played over again when wanting to..

Then once Ady has a grasp on these sort of FPS games he can then start going out and buying Crysis and Bioshock and whatever and blowing everything to kingdom come..:D

We gonna ease you in there nice and gently Ady..:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, personally, I thought Bioshock was easier than CoD1 United Offensive.

But I'm Odd :)

Ask a Question