Which video card? Opinions wanted

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading the video card in my second machine as I now have quite a few games on it.

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Black Edition Dual Core 3.2Ghz CPU
Noctua NH-U12F Cooler with 2 x Noctua 120mm Fans
2 x 1Gb Corsair PC6400 800Mhz memory
BFG 7600GT 256Mb Video card.

It's kinda begging for an upgrade isn't it?

The Nvidia 9600 series of cards have just hit the market and to me are looking to be a good mid range video card choice.

I am kind of keen to get one but wondering whether it's worth spending a little extra on an 8800 series.

I'm not exactly flush at the moment so budget is a consideration.

In the Blue Corner:

BFG 9600GT

512Mb memory running at 1800Mhz
Core running at 675Mhz
Shader clock speed of 1700Mhz
DX10 Compatible

£129.24

And in the Red Corner:

Contender 1:

Asus 8800GT

256Mb memory running at 1800Mhz
Core running at 600MHz
Shader Clock Speed of 1500MHz
DX10 Compatible

£135.11

Contender 2:

OCUK 8800GT

512Mb Memory running at 1800Mhz
Core running at 600MHz
-Shader Clock Speed of 1500MHz
DX10 Compatible

£143.34

Contender 3:

OCUK 8800GTS

320Mb Memory running at 1600Mhz
Core running at 513MHz
Shader Clock Speed of 1200MHz
DX10 Compatible

£140.99

The BFG 9600GT looks good to me, I'm almost sold on it, but I would really value your opinions.

The reason I've loaded games onto machine number two is that the main hard disk space on my main machine is small (150Gb - see sig) and I don't want to upgrade to 2 x 150Gb Raptors cos they're expensive and I don't fancy reinstalling Vista.

I recently completed HL2 Ep2 and so uninstalled Steam/Orange Box and installed it all on the machine I've detailed above. So I would really like to run it on a better grafix card.

These newer games take up a huge amount of disk space.

On the machine listed in my sig, I now have about 38Gb of hard disk space left which is probably enough for one or two more new games.

On that disk I have Vista Home Premium with the usual suspects, Office, Photoshop etc plus these games:

Timeshift
Roller Coaster 3 + 2 x expansion packs
Civilisation 4
Civilisation 4 Warlords
Call Of Duty 4
Cal Of Duty 2
Crysis
Halo 2
Flight Simulator X
Call Of Juarez
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Underground 2
STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl
Oblivion: Elder Scrolls 4
Bioshock

And that's it.

Not many eh?

Hence my migrating older games to machine # 2.

All input apreciated :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Either of the first two. :)

EDIT: Sorry just seen the second one is a 256mb card, dont get that.

Contender 2:

OCUK 8800GT

512Mb Memory running at 1800Mhz
Core running at 600MHz
-Shader Clock Speed of 1500MHz
DX10 Compatible

£143.34

Thats the one you want. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks V_R.

In the specs I've listed below each card, the 9600GT wins out over the 8800GT in every area, memory and speeds. And the 9600GT is slightly cheaper as well.

Is there some other part of the card's architecture that evens the balance that I'm unaware of?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Flopp's

If it was me it would be the BFG 9600GT everytime, its cheaper than the other cards and is newer..

Go for it mate..:nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thanks V_R.

In the specs I've listed below each card, the 9600GT wins out over the 8800GT in every area, memory and speeds. And the 9600GT is slightly cheaper as well.

Is there some other part of the card's architecture that evens the balance that I'm unaware of?
not sure mate, just been doing some reading and seems the 8800gt is better peformance wise. will read a bit more and let ya know. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah was staring me in the face, missed it the first time.....

Stream processors.... 9600 = 64, 8800 = 112.

8800GT it is then :)

Thinkin about it, the 9600 is the new 8600, so it makes sense. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R - Thank you :thumb:

This is exactly why I posted, something, something, was niggling away at me.

Well done for doing that research.

Low end 8800 it is then.

FWIW, Grogan over at BBF expressed similar reservations about the 9600 but was less specific why.

I will probably go for a 512Mb version of an 8800, not sure which one yet but don't want to spend more than £150.00.

Any suggestions?

(Oh, I'm being really lazy now..... ;) )

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries, would have spotted it sooner if it wasn't so late. :)

Any of them are good, they are the same card underneath the stickers. ;)

just comes down to warranty, price and bundled gear tbh.

tbh, if i were you i'd consider putting the 8800GT in you main rig and the 640 gts in the other one. The GT will out perform the GTS.
nod.gif

How about this one?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

If your lucky you will get the rev 2 which has a bigger fan. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm afraid that review doesn't impress. Any review that offers 'bragging rights' as a plus, no matter how light hearted the comment, cannot be taken seriously in my book.

I've been reading quite a few reviews all over the place this evening and whilst most agree that the 9600 series are indeed fine cards and far outdo the 8600 series, the 8800's still outperform them for just a few pounds more.

V_R:

I'd actually settled on that one, looks good, right price.

But for another £15.00 I could get This one which although a little over budget, is a BFG card and slightly overclocked straight out the box.

I'm still deliberating but I do like BFG cards, good rma/backup service they have.

So you think that BFG 8800GT 512Mb would outperform my BFG 8800GTS 640Mb Card?

If that is so I'll willingly swap slots.

Bit annoying to think I'll replace current card with one that costs less than half of what I paid for GTS back in November 2006 though ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Hardly .
laughingsmiley.gif

I was rather taken with this 9600 review as it beats the 8800 GT several times ,

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_9600_GT_Amp_Edition/1.html

Whatever I'd hang on for a week or two as ATI have said that they are bringing their prices down very soon and this may drive down Navida prices a bit .

:D
But it is. The way NV name their card is as follows...

They are split into 3 categories, the 200/300/400's are always low end parts, so a new generation of a low end part WILL NOT compete a last generation high end part because, well, its just not meant to.
The 500/600 series are always mid range, and again are not made to compete with high end parts, just offer great performance for your money and to be better than the last generation mid range.
The 800/900 Series are the high end parts and the new generation ones will be better than any previous card out.

So basically a 9600GT is designed to better the mid range sector and has nothing to do with the high end at all.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
V_R:

I'd actually settled on that one, looks good, right price.

But for another £15.00 I could get This one which although a little over budget, is a BFG card and slightly overclocked straight out the box.

I'm still deliberating but I do like BFG cards, good rma/backup service they have.

So you think that BFG 8800GT 512Mb would outperform my BFG 8800GTS 640Mb Card?

If that is so I'll willingly swap slots.

Bit annoying to think I'll replace current card with one that costs less than half of what I paid for GTS back in November 2006 though ;)
Thats a good card too. and BFG are good on there after sales service. :)

Going by the reviews and benchmarks the GT is the new and better card. It not that far behind the GTX believe it or not.

Check the spec of the GTS and GT.....

The GT's have higher clocks, including the shader clock which is more important than the mem speed.

The GT's have more stream processors

They are the new G92 core, meaning they are a little more efficient too.

Best thing to do is to go and have a read of some reviews and such and maybe have a play when you get the new card. Make up your own mind as to what you wish to do. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alrighty, you're going to love me for this :D

I thought about my whole setup and realised the only reason I was installing games to machine # 2 was because I didn't have much disk space on machine # 1.

And then, in one of those rare moments of clarity, vision and a feeling akin to somebody pouring a bucket full of ice into my underpants, I had an idea.

All I really need to install more games is more space.

Duh, yeah, obvious really.....

So I scooted down to PC World and bought another Hitachi 250Gb sata II drive for £45.00.

It's in there now, formatted, so I have lots of space to install more games.

I don't know why but I'd locked into a train of thought where I was only thinking of installing games to drive 'C'

Who's a dumbass then? :D

I still may get an 8800GT and that OCUK deal is a goodie :thumb:

Only disadvantage I can think of is that some of the 40 odd games I have installed on machine # 2 just won't run on Vista. I have stuff like Return To Castle Wolfenstein; Soldier Of Fortune II; All 3 Serious Sams and NFS Porsche 2000 on there.

However, having said that, the 7600GT handles those particular games just fine so they can probably stay where they are.

Anyways, thanks everybody for the input.

attachment.php

Attachments

• drives.jpg
    drives.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 144

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Moments of clarity.... sometimes they ruin the fun :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that's saved you a few bob then :D

250GB should be plenty for now :) I've got a 320GB and 250GB in mine at the moment, but the 2nd one is purely for backups. Still got 100Gb on the primary drive left even with all of my games installed :thumb:

Reaction score
Flopps,

Did you ever get a reply from BFG after you sent your warranty information to them? becuase I have not heard anything after sending mine into them by e-mail?

Thanks,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Flopps,

Did you ever get a reply from BFG after you sent your warranty information to them? becuase I have not heard anything after sending mine into them by e-mail?

Thanks,

Wiz

Yes I did. They acknowledged the three year warranty but didn't even comment on my request for the free T-Shirt they promised.

E-mails were in broken English as well. It has not instilled confidence.

So, I didn't get either the Teflon pads or Free T-shirt, as promised on OCUK's site with this card.

I did mean to pursue OCUK about it but time slipped by and I couldn't be bothered in the end.

So, my new video card manuafaturer is EVGA (or whoever's offering the best deal, really) and my new favoured online supplier is now E-Buyer over OCUK.

Just a few days ago spent almost £500.00 with E-Buyer (mostly work-related) and it arrived on time and well packed.

BFG & OCUK have both shot themselves in the foot with this one as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes I did. They acknowledged the three year warranty but didn't even comment on my request for the free T-Shirt they promised.

E-mails were in broken English as well. It has not instilled confidence.

So, I didn't get either the Teflon pads or Free T-shirt, as promised on OCUK's site with this card.

I did mean to pursue OCUK about it but time slipped by and I couldn't be bothered in the end.

So, my new video card manuafaturer is EVGA (or whoever's offering the best deal, really) and my new favoured online supplier is now E-Buyer over OCUK.

Just a few days ago spent almost £500.00 with E-Buyer (mostly work-related) and it arrived on time and well packed.

BFG & OCUK have both shot themselves in the foot with this one as far as I'm concerned.

That’s not good you would aspect better service form OC UK and BFG I have always though highly of BFG and OC UK, I have sent several e-mails and no reply what so ever from BFG. How’s your new Video card by the way? I've never had any problems with Ebuyer its always been top [font=&quot]notch service from them.[/font]

Wiz
[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot][/font][font=&quot] [/font]

Ask a Question