9800GTX Mild overclock

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
New (ish) version of Riva Tuner out now, V2.09 and it's a lot easier to use than previous versions.

Have overclocked my 9800GTX card a little, running smoothly and at acceptable core temp.

Stock settings:

Fan: 35%
Core clock: 700
Shader clock: 1728
Memory: 1100
Core temp: 51C

I now have:

Core: 800
Shader: 2000
Memory: 1200
Fan: 50%
Core temp: 53C

Temps taken after playing either Assassin's Creed or CoD4 online.

Four fan profiles set up:

1) Standard, 35%
2) 50%
3) 60%
4) 100%

At 35% & 50% the fan on this card (BFG) is not heard.

At 60% it becomes noticeable.

At 100% it is distinctly noisy.

So there you go, overclocking a gogo, I may take it higher.

Haven't taken any frame rates yet, but I will do.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
thats a pretty decent OC, notice any difference? congrats :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't noted any frame rates yet Alf, but I will get round to it. Thanks CL :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice! Will the fan automatically adjust if it gets too hot during usage?

If it's still quiet at 50% with that overclock then that's perfect! :)

I've not really thought about overclocking my 8800, but I may as well give it a go for a free 10% ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Very nice! Will the fan automatically adjust if it gets too hot during usage?

Not as far as I know but it hasn't got hotter than 53C yet anyway.

I'm still working out everything about this new version of Riva Tuner, the old guide they had at Guru3D doesn't apply to this version.

Vista asks me on boot to allow Riva Tuner to run :rolleyes: No, I haven't disabled UAC (yet).

Couple of Frame rates:

Call Of Duty 4 online, 1680 x 1050, all settings maxed out except 'Sync every frame' - that's turned off - 91fps

Crysis, all settings on high, 1680 x 1050, no anti-alliasing - 25 to 37fps, average 32fps.

Rocket Scientist said:
If it's still quiet at 50% with that overclock then that's perfect! :)

Aye, not bad is it? :)

The Guvnor said:
I've not really thought about overclocking my 8800, but I may as well give it a go for a free 10% ;)

Go for it :thumb:

Reaction score
Flops,

I might try this as well will it voild the warranty? Would BFG know if the card has been overclocked?

Regards,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Flops,

I might try this as well will it voild the warranty? Would BFG know if the card has been overclocked?

Regards,

Wiz

Yes it would void the warranty.

And no, it's extremely unlikely they'd have any way of knowing it had been overclocked.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
RivaTuner isn't the easiest bit of software to use is it? There's a guide for it here if you get stuck like I was :)

http://www.vaguesoft.com/index.php?pageid=rt207

My 8800 GTS was:

Core : 513
Shader : 1188
Memory : 792
Fan : 59%

Now:

Core : 600
Shader : 1300
Memory : 900
Fan : 75%

I need to check temps when I do a bit more gaming tonight, but Crysis seems stable so far. I'm not sure why the shader was underclocked from stock (as 1200 is apparently default).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Call Of Duty 4 online, 1680 x 1050, all settings maxed out except 'Sync every frame' - that's turned off - 91fps

Crysis, all settings on high, 1680 x 1050, no anti-alliasing - 25 to 37fps, average 32fps.

Hey Flops, got a little tip for you. :)

In CoD4 the framerate is capped at 90. You need to go into your cod4 config_mp.cfg file and change the com_maxfps "90" to 125 or even 250. You can set it too 0 to totally upcap the framereate but you may find you get kicked by PB for this on some servers. :)

If you would prefer you can do this in game also. Just go into the game, press the ` key to bring down console and type "/com_maxfps 125" (without quotes) into the console and hit enter this will raise the cap to 125. :)

Also type "cg_dwawfps 1" (again without the quotes) into console and it will show your fps in the top right corner permanently, or search for it in the config_mp.cfg file and change the value in there. :D
( See screen shot for what i mean. )

Oh and one last thing, unrelated to framerate, but change cl_maxpackets "30" to "100" You will find your hit registration is improved and it will probably lower your ping a little. :)

With UAC on vista puts your player profile in some odd location..... Virtual store or something??

If you have it off then its in the game install directory. :)

Enjoy! :D

1210869557.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I'll change that, thanks.

The CoD4 profile within Vista is simply within 'Documents' cunningly titled 'CoD4 Profile' I don't think having UAC turned on or off influences it's location but I'm not sure, I still got UAC turned on, don't cheese me off too much (but it's beginning to now, lol).

A few more framerates, everything maxed out, inc anti-aliasing:

CoD2: 91fps (capped as in CoD4?)
Call Of Juarez: 70fps
GRID demo: 60fps

Had quite a long session of CoD2 online earlier and I have to say this new video card and/or overclock has made a helluva big difference, it's so much more faster and fluid, I'm doing a lot better :)

Came across some lowlife named Virus using an Aimbot, he won on 50 kills to six deaths in about 5 minutes, maybe less.

I did insult him rather vociferously with the use of some good old Anglo Saxon language, also questioning his parentage and his relationship with his mother :D

But he ignored me and none of the other 20 odd players seemed bothered. So I left that server.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes it would void the warranty.

And no, it's extremely unlikely they'd have any way of knowing it had been overclocked.

Cool if they cant tell then I think I'll try it becuase I sometimes get a jerky image when playing games in maxed settings with aa on. Flops, did you ever overclock your 8800? if you did what what it be best to set the timings to would this depend on the specs of the pc?

Thanks,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I did overclock my 8800GTS briefly but can't remember the settings I used.

Try copying's Ian's settings, outlined in an earlier post in this thread.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The CoD4 profile within Vista is simply within 'Documents' cunningly titled 'CoD4 Profile' I don't think having UAC turned on or off influences it's location but I'm not sure, I still got UAC turned on, don't cheese me off too much (but it's beginning to now, lol).
Ah, k dont have vista, was goin on what i've read. :)

A few more framerates, everything maxed out, inc anti-aliasing:

CoD2: 91fps (capped as in CoD4?)
Ya, same as cod4

I hate hackers.......Scum.....

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
RivaTuner isn't the easiest bit of software to use is it? There's a guide for it here if you get stuck like I was :)

http://www.vaguesoft.com/index.php?pageid=rt207

My 8800 GTS was:

Core : 513
Shader : 1188
Memory : 792
Fan : 59%

Now:

Core : 600
Shader : 1300
Memory : 900
Fan : 75%

I need to check temps when I do a bit more gaming tonight, but Crysis seems stable so far. I'm not sure why the shader was underclocked from stock (as 1200 is apparently default).

Cheers Ian,

I'll try this later on. do you think these settinbs would be ok on my 8800GT?

I would had thought it would be ok but I was wondering if somene could advise,

Thanks,

Wiz

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
All cards oc differently, some better than others. Try upping the clocks one at a time, start with the core and shader clocks, then the memory. You can use ATI Tool to check for artifacts, let it run for about 30 mins to up to an hour. Yes i know you have an Nvidia card but ATI tool, will work with that.

If you see any graphical issues then you will need to back the clocks down a little. :)

Ask a Question