Downloading music files from Microsoft Media player to Linux Mint

Reaction score
I have saved all my music which I had on W10 about 40 gigs is it possible to download those files onto Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 or will I have to rip them again which will take weeks:confused::confused::confused:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I've not used Windows Media Player in ages but I would think it stores the music files locally in a folder somewhere - just copy the files onto another drive where you want to store them for Linux. Assuming they're DRM-free this should be a simple thing...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
click on the file ... play.

What file format are your music files saved as ?????????

I know you use Linux Mint, but what environment did you choose? ... KDE, Gnome or other?
(you only get one 'environment' in Windows, it's called, Microsoft.) :)

EDIT: ah, right Cinnamon, not KDE or Gnome, altho I think it was originally called Gnome2.:rolleyes:

example: If KDE, then Amarok will already be installed, there are others ... you can add more.

For Your Reading Pleasure

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Mr Mucks thanks for the reading information very interesting, I have just finished reading it. Looks like Banshee is the one for me I will be looking to download my CD's tomorrow. Once again thanks for the heads up.:lol::thumb::thumb:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
You should also take a look at Plex Media Server. It's free and while it may be more than you need, it's pretty awesome.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may be an idea for future use to burn all your music to disc, it would only take about ten DVD's to store 40Gb or if you have a Bluray Burner, just a couple of 25Gb discs or just the one 50Gb disk. These discs actually only store about 22Gb and 44Gb respectively but they are convenient.

I'm using a Pioneer BDR209 Bluray burner which currently costs about £65.00.

Prior to the Pioneer I had an LG which only lasted 18 months, FWIW.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the assistance I am looking at both the Pioneer BDR209 and Plex Media Server and will make up my mind shortly and will let you know then.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I'd recommend using flash drives rather than optical media. Discs are more susceptible to data loss. I've had many discs that were burned at low speeds and worked 3 months later, but 9 months later copying files from them resulted in CRC errors. Discs are also more vulnerable to mishaps like scratches or water damage. Discs also require an external device for reading them, while flash drives work with a variety of machines so long as they have a USB port.

Ask a Question