Doom Question

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
He he I downloaded Doom from here,

http://www.freesoftwarebase.com/games/free-doom-downloads

I managed to work out how to run it under XP on me pc .I'm running it in compatibility mode foe Win 98 and 256 colours and to run it I right click the setup exe and start it by clicking on " run with VDMS " This helped me to get the game to play fairly smoothly . It ran pretty badly under XP but I don't really know how to run these games and wht settings to choose .

Trouble is I do not get a status bar at the bottom of the screen like the picture shows (see the link) . How do I get this to show ??? Should the sound be music or should there be voices and music ??

There are tons of games at that site and I found it from a link given by another member here , just can't remember who it was .

:blush::D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It might be worth you using DOSBox to run the game, as you might find it able to run it a bit better. :) The status bar should be there, so I'm not sure why it isn't appearing - hopefully DOSBox will give better compatibility and sort it though. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta I'll look into it .

nod.gif

Reaction score
Not bad dos box got alot of dos games to work with it.

Does anyone know where i can download final doom for free?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have all 3 Doom games on a CD.

Cost me a fiver from a GAME shop.

They all work in XP with no tweaks although the control keys leave a little to be desired.

And I still have the original five floppy diks for Doom II :)

As much as it's praised (and yes, it was great at the time) to my mind the first Quake blew it out the water.

Ask a Question