Doom

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just done something I rarely do and paid full price for a game on it's release day - Doom.

The brand spanking new 2016 Doom put together by iD & Bethesda.

And all I can say is - Wow!

Now this is my kind of game, pure shoot-em-up fps with relentless action and lots of aliens getting splattered by shotguns.

Makes a mockery of the last Doom outing, somebody has got this thing right.

Ok, I've only played 40 minutes so far but that's enough to convince me I'm going to enjoy this. And I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

About time too, after all the recent disappointments.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds good! I've heard good things about it, so I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Three hours into the game now and so far it's proved to be one of those games I want to keep coming back to.

It's getting harder, some demons are getting harder to kill, and some of the routes out of certain areas can be difficult to find.

If I could level one criticism at Doom I'd say that all areas are a bit samey, it's all more or less indoors so far and can get a little claustrophobic.

I'm running at 1920 x 1080 and went with whatever the game engine set my settings to. I have no idea what fps I'm getting and to tell the truth I don't know how to find that out, perhaps I should look into it - FRAPS?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Steam has its own FPS counter built in now Flops. Check the in game menu in the Steam settings.

Or Nvidia Shadowplay.

Or if you want more info MSI Afterburner will show FPS, GPU temps etc.

:)

Reaction score
Go to the advanced graphic settings in the doom game menu and you can use the inbuilt FPS counter, it's the last setting in the advanced graphic settings section.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info chaps.

I installed Afterburner but can't get fps to show up in game, I've set everything in the menus best I can, just can't seem to suss it.

I've now shut down the energy tower and I'm off to kill Olivia :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, Mr Not-very-good-gamer here seems to be stuck :(

I've spent 15 hours playing this game and was thoroughly enjoying it and I'm up to the final boss fight at the end of the 'Lazarus Labs' level. I've already defeated this boss once but then the game throws him at you again after you've both warped to a different location.

I've tried every day now for four days to get past this level - I just can't do it, must have had at least 50 attempts. And I'm playing on the easiest level. Sir Doofus here splashed out 40 quid on a game and can't even play it to the end - makes me want to scweem and scweem and stamp my feet :mad:

Doom has also crashed to the desktop on me about five times and I read on Steam that it's a much more common problem than mine and Bethesda (the game publishers) don't seem to be bothered about it, according to comments left within the Steam community.

I enabled the in-game fps counter in Steam and my i7 4Ghz quad core with GTX 970 4Gb is giving me a steady 60fps at the settings the game defaulted to - all high but not the absolute highest.

I think we should bring back accessible in-game consoles and cheats and maybe then I could enjoy my 40 quid's worth of game to it's conclusion.

Pah.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I suppose in a way it's better to have a game that is too hard than too easy...? Looking on the brightside, you'll get such a great feeling of accomplishment when you do finally beat it! ;)

Reaction score
Well at least your getting your moneys worth by still playing it and not completing it quickly.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't think I am getting my money's worth as I won't be going back to it now, I have conceded that the game's beaten me. If I can't beat the level after four days and 50+ attempts it's unlikely I ever will.

I pay money to enjoy a game, not be beaten up by it. I accept I may be viewed as a wuss for being unable to compete but that's the way I am. Every time I tried to get past that level - and initially I was convinced I would - I became very angry and that is no way to be.

There have been quite a few games that have thrown me similar curveballs and I've given up on them as well. It makes, for me, purchasing a game more of a gamble than for most folk.

I thought I done well to get as far as I did, actually, as parts of the game seemed quite difficult to me. Still, I do like a bit of a challenge, an all too easy game would be a bit lame but when the difficulty level is over the top I'm not happy with it.

I've looked at the walkthroughs of that level on YouTube and I swear it doesn't look as hard on those clips, it almost seems as if the game I have is harder.

I may go back to it, am considering re-routing some of the keyboard command keys, but for now Doom can go to hell ;)

Reaction score
Did you change to the difficulty level to the easiest one and have another go? don't let it beat you ;)

As Raiden once said to Liu Kang 'There is always....a way'

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chad, I've been playing on easy level throughout, as I mentioned in the first post.

Here's part of a guide which details the difficult part, my hiccup was the second part and this article confirms that even on easy level the game is no pushover: Lazarus Lab Demon

Anyhow - I done it! I done it! :D On my 5th attempt this evening.

I did actually manage to beat this thing a few days ago but at the end of the fight you have to get up close and deliver what they call a 'Glory Kill' (basically a melee blow) and I have that function mapped to the Q key.

But what did dopey-dokus here keep pushing to deliver the final blow? The E key. Which means I died when Mr Monster woke up and squashed me. You could hear my howls of anguish in Aberdeen.

I am now about six or seven checkpoints on from that hellish level and getting me money's worth again :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd imagine, for me, hardest setting is impossible :D

And guess what? I've now encountered boss # 2 and it's even harder :eek:

I really don't think I'll get past this one but for now I'll keep trying.

From what I can work out looking at various wiki guides I'm on level 13 of 14 levels so I haven't done too bad. And apparently the last boss - Olivia - is even harder.

I wish somebody else here was playing the game so I could compare efforts, that may either confirm my general uselessness or let me know others are also having difficulty.

Didn't you buy the game Chad? If so, how you getting on with it?

Reaction score
Too be honest I've not had much chance to get back on it, I'm just about half way through. Its a great game though so far.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Working my way though this now Flops. In the Argent Facility. :)

Good game!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I went back to this in the last couple of weeks on and off. Completed it this afternoon. It's a good game, somewhat psychotic but a good game!

I got all but one of the challenges too, because its bugged. :mad:

The one in the Kadingir Sanctum - get all 4 Praetor Tokens, which I have but the challenge say I only have one.

Are you still stuck Flops if so where abouts?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey, it's been 6 months since I fired that one up.

I did actually give up on trying to beat the second boss but as I mentioned in an above post I did reach the penultimate level so I didn't do too bad and I did thoroughly enjoy the game so can't complain.

I can't see me re-visiting unless I start over tbh. Maybe some time in the future if I get a hankering but right now at this moment in time - doubtful

Ask a Question