Quake 4 - First impressions

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My first thought was 'Oh no, I've bought part three of Doom 3' cos it's the very same engine.

There are lots of similarities, it's dark, often claustrophobic, same exit method between levels and the Strogg (the baddies) evaporate after you kill 'em.

But, about 6 levels in, I'm beginning to think it's everything Doom 3 should have been. You can save a game wherever you like, you can keep the torch on as well as hold some weapons, the intereaction with your team members is good and the story line is better driven.

It's not as scary as Doom 3 but so far the places where the Strogg jump out at you are kinda predictable. It's bigger scaled, there's more outdoor action and a Giant spacecraft lands for you to board, which brings a nice scale to things. And none of that constantly having to power up with oxygen when you're outside.

The blurb says I'll be driving vehicles and eventually be transformed into a Strogg, so it could be interesting.

There are scenes where you man a gun in a moving vehicle, kinda like Call Of Duty and MOHAA, and health pick-ups seem a lot scarcer.

So far I've compared it completely to Doom 3 cos if you've played D3, it's almost impossible not to. I suppose I should evaluate the game purely on it's own merits.

Well, it doesn't capture any of the original feel of Quake or Quake 2 at all, but, so far, it's really very good, I'm enjoying this. Proof of that is I keep going back to it.

Graphics are Ok, if not spectacular, I'm running it on DFI Ultra 2 B; 1Gb Memory; XP3200 @ 2.4Ghz; Leadtek 6800GT 256Mb.

To sum up my first impressions then: enjoyable, not really outstanding as fps's go but if you're an fps fan, worth having.

It's £35.00 at Game, Game Station & PC World and £28.00 from play.com.

If you're umming and ahhing about spending that money, it may be worth waiting a few months for price to drop.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, so can't comment on that.

If I had to give it a score, I'd say about 80%.

Ask a Question