Disappearing TIF's

It seems everyone is having problems with clearing their tif's. My problem is
just the opposite. My tif's are disappearing without me clearing them. I
checked the advanced tab for the option to clear the tif folder when the
browser is closed, but that option is not checked. Is there another setting
I'm not aware of? Does anyone have any ideas for what is causing this? Thanks
in advance for any info.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Which version of Windows?
Are you *sure* that a third-party program isn't doing this?
What size is the TIF folder set to?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Don, Thanks for your reply. Sorry I forgot to include that info. I am
running Windows XP Home with SP2. The size of the TIF folder is 124MB. This
must be the default because I didn't set it. Can you explain a little bit
about that third party program you mentioned so I can check into that. Thanks
again.

hivolts220 said:
It seems everyone is having problems with clearing their tif's. My problem is
just the opposite. My tif's are disappearing without me clearing them. I
checked the advanced tab for the option to clear the tif folder when the
browser is closed, but that option is not checked. Is there another setting
I'm not aware of? Does anyone have any ideas for what is causing this? Thanks
in advance for any info.

Don Varnau

Hi,
A third-party program would be something you've installed without realizing
(perhaps) that it would clear the TIF. Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy
Keeper, another privacy/security program.

Just to verify, if you close then re-open IE, there are no files visible
from Internet Options> General> TIF> Settings> View files?

Your TIF folder at 124MB is not huge. Huge TIF folders can be troublesome.

Try checking "Empty TIF folder when browser is closed." Restart. Uncheck it.
Restart.

Your TIF folder may be corrupt (damaged.)
Try deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected user
account. A new folder will be created on restart. Login as another user with
administrator privileges, or from the machine's default administrator
account (startup in safe mode.) Make sure that you can see hidden and system
files (Folder Options> View) Then delete the affected TIF folder from
Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files] Restart.

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Don, thanks for all the info. I haven't installed any programs for a long
time unless one was installed without me knowing. You wanted me to verify
that when I close then reopen IE there are no files visible. There are files
visible. That's the problem. Only some of the files are being deleted. I did
notice that there are a lot of DAT files, over 100 in some of the folders.
They all say 0 bytes. I don't know if this means anything or not, just wanted
to let you know. I'll be looking into this more over the weekend. I'll let
you know what I find. Thanks again for your help.

"hivolts220" <hivolts220[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
It seems everyone is having problems with clearing their tif's. My problem
is
just the opposite. My tif's are disappearing without me clearing them. I
checked the advanced tab for the option to clear the tif folder when the
browser is closed, but that option is not checked. Is there another
setting
I'm not aware of? Does anyone have any ideas for what is causing this?
Thanks
in advance for any info.

Don Varnau

Hi,
The 0 kb files in the TIF folder are probably created whenever a message is
opened in Outlook Express. When clearing the TIF, check the "delete offline
content" box when that dialog pops up. That should clear those.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

:
Hi,
Which version of Windows?
Are you *sure* that a third-party program isn't doing this?
What size is the TIF folder set to?
"hivolts220" <hivolts220[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
It seems everyone is having problems with clearing their tif's. My problem
is
just the opposite. My tif's are disappearing without me clearing
them.
checked the advanced tab for the option to clear the tif folder
when
the
browser is closed, but that option is not checked. Is there another
setting
I'm not aware of? Does anyone have any ideas for what is causing
this?

Hi Don, I finally had some time, so I followed all of your suggestions and so
far nothing has changed. The one thing I could not do was to delete the TIF
folder in safe mode. Got a message that it was part of the operating system
and cannot be deleted. While in safe mode I did delete the contents of the
folder but that didn't help. One other thing. My dsl was running slow so I
ran pcpitstop at the request of my isp. It did find quite a few invalid
registry key entries. I didn't make any changes yet. Could this have anything
to do with what's going on? Thanks a lot.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

hivolts220 said:
Hi Don, I finally had some time, so I followed all of your suggestions and
so
far nothing has changed. The one thing I could not do was to delete the
TIF
folder in safe mode. Got a message that it was part of the operating
system
and cannot be deleted. While in safe mode I did delete the contents of the
folder but that didn't help. One other thing. My dsl was running slow so I
ran pcpitstop at the request of my isp. It did find quite a few invalid
registry key entries. I didn't make any changes yet. Could this have
anything
to do with what's going on? Thanks a lot.

To delete TIF you have to log on to Windows as another Administrator profile
to delete your own TIF.