Diablo 3

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on Diablo 3 and I can say it was worth it. Its just what I like in an action RPG. Fast paced, great visuals and plenty of enemys :)

Getting the game was hard though! I saw it in Tesco for £32 last week and was going to pick it up but decided against it so I could complete some of my other games. Well it turns out I couldn't wait for it, so I thought I would get it this weekend. Went to my nearest Tesco and it was out of stock, so I went to another Tesco a little further afield but they were out of stock as well. I decided to try Blockbuster and guess what, they were out of stock. Tried another Blockbuster, surprise surprise, out of stock. So I decided to go up town and try some shops, HMV out of stock, Gamestation shut down then I tried GAME and the cheeky gits wanted £45! So I thought I'd get it straight from Blizzard/Battle.net via a digital download, £45 from them. I couldn't be bothered with any more messing about so I just bought it from Battle.net. Without a doubt the most expensive game I have EVER purchased, let alone all my time, fuel cost and parking costs!

Played a little last night, completed act 1 and when I finished the last boss on act 1 I got a message saying something like "thank you for playing the starter edition of Diablo 3, if you want to continue please purchase the full game". I just couldn't believe it, its like I should not be playing this game. I did some googling to find out whats going on and apparently due to piracy/security it can take up to 72 hour for a digital download to activate fully. When it does activate fully I have to play through the last part of act 1 again to progress through the story line :confused:.

Security for the game is like some CIA stuff going on. You can have blizzard text you straight to your mobile as well as having a mobile app called an authenticator so you have a special short life code to input every time you log in to prevent people hacking your account.

Reaction score
Damn, they're really getting ridiculous with the DRM. At least buying games digitally you don't have to worry about them running out of stock :) That's how I've been buying most of my games (via Steam), except an occasional one that was cheaper from Amazon.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No way would I pay 45 for a game, unless it was an online game with no subscription fees maybe.

Diablo II came out shortly before Win XP was launched and was optimised for Win 95, 98 & ME but did work ok in XP once patched. I just tried to load it into Win 7, tried all the recommendations that Blizzard gave but it wouldn't work. Nevermind, I have it loaded in Win XP plus expansion pack.

The reason I mention Diablo II is that I bought it around 2004/2005, tried it briefly but didn't care for it very much so I thought I may try it again cos I figured Diablo III is gonna be kinda similar despite being released about ten years after (ooh, good name for a band there ;) )

I think Blizzard should have made single player in Diablo III available to play offline instead of having to be online every time you want to play it. Apparently your Diablo III character and save games are stored online and not on your computer. Now that's bad.

Blizzard also keep the prices for their games high for a long long time, Starcraft 2 still can't be had had for less than 25 quid a coupla years after it was released.

Bearing all of that in mind I don't think I'll be playing Diablo III anytime in the immediate future.

And talking of Blizzard I recently loaded Warcraft III into Win 7 where it works fine and I've played a little, it's pretty good for the time it was released and I'll probably play it some more. I can remember when I first bought it getting stuck quite a long way into the game, it got harder as it progressed and I recall never being quite sure what to do next. Will be interesting to revisit it.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Diablo 3 has got me hooked now, its always on my brain :p . I Haven't had time to play it much though, I've probably managed 6 hours in the past week. The fighting is slow fast and fluid, it just makes you want to jump into massive hordes of beasties.

There's a little annoying bug at the minute though, were the game just freezes for split seconds in battles. I'm not sure if its my computer/drivers or the game but the frames per second do not drop below 60 and it will just freeze mid battle for a split second the carry on fine. Probably just bad coding on blizzards part as there's already been 5 or so patches for it come out!

If your into your RPG games then this is a definite must have, even if it does cost £45

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well Theodore woke me up at 4am this morning crying for a bottle and as soon as he finished it he decided to go back bed, as I have work at 6:45-7:00 no point going back bed so I hit Diablo up and completed it :blush:. It took me around 10-12 hours to finish it on normal setting, and that's with exploring everything! A little short really, but the combat is epic so I will be going through it on insane mode.

I finished up with my character ,a barbarian, on level 31 and with around 100,000 in gold. I died twice.

I started insane mode and played for around 10 minutes, its definitely hard! Just a few of the weakest enemies in the game were giving me a spanking. I've seen some people get some kool weapon drops on insane mode. My axe which I played the last 2-3 hours of the game (and killed the last boss with) is 51 damage, where as I've seen 900+ damage from some people!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lemme see, I still can't see it selling for less than £33, you have to have a constant net connection just for the game to play and it max's out at 12 hours gameplay.

You having a laugh, Blizzard?

Not pour moi.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I haven't played any of the other Diablo's but apparently number 2 is the best, but even thats just the same. Constant farming for better gear to get in better battles. The battles are epic though, you just want to run through more and more hordes like a loony. Kingdoms of Amalur is much better in my opinion, more game for the money.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback RS. I have Diablo 2 and the Lord Of Destruction expansion set, bought them years ago. They work well within Win 7, incidentally. Twice I've started to play the game but it seemed to me the gameplay was archaic, the graphics muted, so I abandoned it each time.

Maybe I should give it more time but I figure as I got bored with the original Starcraft about three hours in, maybe it's not my type of game.

I have Kingdoms Of Amular on the Xbox 360, picked it up used for £15.00. I've played a couple of hours, it's good imo but it's easy to get lost and lose track of what you're supposed to be doing. Or maybe it's just me. I will go back to it, maybe might carry on with it later today.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I have Kingdoms Of Amular on the Xbox 360, picked it up used for £15.00. I've played a couple of hours, it's good imo but it's easy to get lost and lose track of what you're supposed to be doing. Or maybe it's just me. I will go back to it, maybe might carry on with it later today.

It doesn't matter if you don't stick to the main quest, the side quests are all fun. You can't really get lost on it as when you click into your quest journal you can simply select the mission you wish to do and there will be an arrow on the map showing you were to go at all times.

Ask a Question