Dead motherboard?

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time no post. Busy preparing for my A Levels in a few weeks, so hope you are all doing all right.

Anyway, for a good 6 months or so my computer has randomly crashed, ususally when playing WOW (laugh it up, go on. Secret shame :D) and Windows Media Player together. Would say something about my nvidia drivers, but it happened only about once a month or so so I didn't bother worrying about it.

That may or may not be related to my actual problem now, when the computer suddenly slowed down HUGELY, to the point where it would freeze on login.

But it worked fine in Safe Mode, so I ploughed through the old net trying to find some answers. Seeing as it happened on startup, I went through the files and registry and removed all my startup programs and services, so it was pretty much only loading basic programs on normal starup. It helped a little, but it was still unbelievably slow and rubbish.

Then my CMOs decided to reset itself constantly, so I replaced the battery (bear in mind m/b is only 3 years old or so, and has only been used for 2 and a half of them) and it seemed to stop. But the problems didn't, so I thought screw it and formatted yesterday.

Unfortunately, while the computer runs fine, it has now taken to crashing at random points, just by using the internet or typing it will suddenly crash, a wierd noise comes out the speakers and horizontal lines come up on the screen, progressively filling it.

Is this indicative of a dead mb? Its a pretty crap time to lose a computer as I need to do my history coursework
wallbash.gif

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good to see you again potguy, I hope the revision is going well :) You'll have to let us know how you did when you get your results :thumb:

It does sound like a hardware fault if it still plays up after a fresh format. You could try checking the ram by using memtest86+ : http://www.memtest.org/#downiso just in case it is that. But, it could well be your motherboard.

As your motherboard is a few years old you may well be able to pick up a replacement quite cheap, but I'd check the memory and swap any components out that you can to rule everything else out.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I'd suspect the memory first, that's a typical memory fault.

If you have two or more sticks try using just one at a time and see if that isolates a faulty stick.

And run memtest, as Ian suggested.

Reaction score
I ran both the memtests on the UBCD which I had lying around, and it crashed each one before they completed.

memtest crashed after about 10% and just restarted, and memtest+ crashed after 40% and froze.

Does this mean my memory is knackered?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quite probably. You might be able to do what Flops suggested above and start taking sticks out to see if you can isolate a faulty one :)

Reaction score
I individually ran memtest once through on each module, and they all passed fine. Is this enough?

Could it be one of the actual RAM sockets on the motherboard that is faulty? It crashes a fair bit on startup.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Could it be a fault in the PSU ??? Its crashing at start up which is when the psu will be under load .
:blush:

Ask a Question