copy for EXCEL and paste into ACCESS

Richard

Hi, I am an ACCESS newbie and have a very simple question.

I am trying to copy one column in EXCEL and paste it into an ACCESS table,
which has only one column but already has some existing data. The ACCESS
table expects "text".

After I select the cells in the single EXCEL column and copy the contents
and then select the first available cell in the ACCESS table and hit "paste",
it complains "the text is too long". It appears that the copy/paste process
concatenates the contents of the EXCEL cells and makes it one long text and
tries to put this concatenated long text into one cell in ACCESS. Any idea
on how to solve this?

Thanks.

Richard

KARL DEWEY

You probably were clicking in the field of the Access record.
Try highlighting the cells to copy (not highlight the column), copy, select
the field and records (cells and rows) in Access, highlighting as many
field-records as was copied, and paste.

Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Copy only the cells you need to copy from the excel file and in your access table right click the column you want your information in and paste it.

If your Information on consists of one column why not just import the data from the Excel file?

Philip Herlihy

Richard said:
Hi, I am an ACCESS newbie and have a very simple question.

I am trying to copy one column in EXCEL and paste it into an ACCESS table,
which has only one column but already has some existing data. The ACCESS
table expects "text".

After I select the cells in the single EXCEL column and copy the contents
and then select the first available cell in the ACCESS table and hit "paste",
it complains "the text is too long". It appears that the copy/paste process
concatenates the contents of the EXCEL cells and makes it one long text and
tries to put this concatenated long text into one cell in ACCESS. Any idea
on how to solve this?

Thanks.

Richard

A more reliable method may be to copy and paste as necessary within
Excel in order to get an Excel file which contains only the data you
want to copy to Access. Then (having backed up your Access file - see
Help) use the Import option (see Help), appending to the table desired.
Access is very picky (rightly) about wanting the data in the right
format (this is less of a problem with text).

Phil, London

Joined
Mar 21, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks KARL,It's working.I also had this doubt.Now clear.

Regards,
Gemini.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Richard" wrote:

> Hi, I am an ACCESS newbie and have a very simple question.
>
> I am trying to copy one column in EXCEL and paste it into an ACCESS table,
> which has only one column but already has some existing data. The ACCESS
> table expects "text".
>
> After I select the cells in the single EXCEL column and copy the contents
> and then select the first available cell in the ACCESS table and hit "paste",
> it complains "the text is too long". It appears that the copy/paste process
> concatenates the contents of the EXCEL cells and makes it one long text and
> tries to put this concatenated long text into one cell in ACCESS. Any idea
> on how to solve this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Well You Can Also use the import feature in access

In External Data Ribbon There is a Import from excel Feature which you can use to import excel into a table.,

its quite handy.,

imp.JPG