Excel Data pastes into 2 cells not 1

Reaction score
So when I paste date into a cell, the data pastes into the cell BELOW where I click. The cell I was aiming for is blank and the data I wanted there ends up in the cell below it.

It is as if the paste function is taking 2 rows of cells.

My job is completely stuck because of this problem. I did have success ONLY ONE TIME using "clear contents". After I cleared the cell, then the data would copy and paste as expected into only 1 cell. But "clear contents" won't work anymore.

I'm a very new user to excel but my very experienced friend who's a programmer and uses excel daily cannot figure this out either.

Thanks for any help at all!!!!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Might be where you are copying from, or how you are copying, that is the issue. It sounds like you are copying a line return as well as the data, which is why it ends up in the cell below.

Test: If you double-click any word/number to highlight it, press CTRL+C to copy, and then select the cell you want to paste into and press CTRL+V to paste, do you still get the problem?

Ask a Question