Computer (XP Pro) keeps restarting after windows is loaded

G

Hi, I have a problem. A couple of days ago my computer suffered a power failure when booting (it was at the loading screen - blue bar). When power was restored I turned on the computer and was prompted to do a full system scan, which scanned files, indexes and security as well as ,I think, drivers. Nothing was changed except two indexes were deleted, I think they were from the windows folder. Now, whenever I turn on my computer, it restarts between the loading screen (blue bar) and the login screen. I am able to run my computer in safe mode however in normal and "last recent working settings" it simply restarts before the login screen. What must I do to correct this problem?

X

XPUSER

I need help!!! said:
Hi, I have a problem. A couple of days ago my computer suffered a power failure when booting (it was at the loading screen - blue bar). When power was restored I turned on the computer and was prompted to do a full system scan, which scanned files, indexes and security as well as ,I think, drivers. Nothing was changed except two indexes were deleted, I think they were from the windows folder. Now, whenever I turn on my computer, it restarts between the loading screen (blue bar) and the login screen. I am able to run my computer in safe mode however in normal and "last recent working settings" it simply restarts before the login screen. What must I do to correct this problem?

=======================================================================
That is good news that you are able to boot to Safe Mode.
Is this XP Home or XP Pro?
Did your PC come with XP Pre-Installed or was it an upgrade from a previous version of Windows?
What kind of XP CD do you have?
When you boot to Safe Mode, do you log on as yourself or the built-in Administrator account?

Please try this from Safe Mode -

Control Panel | System Properties | Advanced tab | Startup and Recovery settings button | System Failure section -

Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

OK

OK

(Doing that means that instead of just rebooting, most likely a blue screen "Stop" error will be displayed
which should help shed light on what is causing this issue.

If you do get a blue screen "Stop" error, make note of the exact "Stop: 0x-------- (0x--------,0x--------,0x--------0x--------)"

Also make note of any error on the blue screen that may be in the form: CAPITAL_LETTERS_AND_UNDERSCORES
(you may or may not see such an error)

Also make note of any file names mentioned in the blue screen such as "xxxxx.sys"
(you may or may not see such a file name)

Once you have noted all of that -

Please post back with that information.

Once you are in the blue screen error - just hold in the power button until the system shuts down -

Wait 30 seconds then restart and you should be able to boot back to Safe Mode.

=====================================================================

Ask a Question