Computer Turns off

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been having a few problems with the pc in my rig, sometimes when I turn the computer on it will turn off then on again, also it wont boot from the disk drive etiher sometimes I have set it up to boot from it in the bios still wont work. Also when ever I make changes to the BIOS the computer turns off and then on again is this normal? It never use to do this before when saving settings.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Wiz

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops

the computer turns off and then on again is this normal?
err, no!!

Need more info, 'cos I'm lazy and didn't check your PCs specs. [edit: oh, it's in your sig ... :blush: :D ]

I'd be looking most things that the POST (power-on-self-test) / BIOS looks at before beep & after ... err, that's most of your hardware. Starting with the HD.

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
err, no!!

Need more info, 'cos I'm lazy and didn't check your PCs specs. [edit: oh, it's in your sig ... :blush: :D ]

I'd be looking most things that the POST (power-on-self-test) / BIOS looks at before beep & after ... err, that's most of your hardware. Starting with the HD.

user.gif

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought it was not normal for it to turn off after saving bios settings, there is only the normal one beep at post I am using this pc with an ext disk drive but it wont boot from any cds, it statred to load the Samsung HDD test tool and said error bad command line out of memory. Today I cant get it to boot from any disks. Last night I kept getting Flash Rom Protected

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, more info ... OK, try enabling "Reset Configuration Data" ... may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS/BIOS Setups ... is usually in the motherboard CMOS/BIOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration, I think. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)

Try replacing the CMOS battery while you're at it, and or, resetting the BIOS. Make sure you enter the BIOS setup and re-cofigure your ram, cpu & other key settings after reboot.

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, more info ... OK, try enabling "Reset Configuration Data" ... may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS/BIOS Setups ... is usually in the motherboard CMOS/BIOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration, I think. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)

Try replacing the CMOS battery while you're at it, and or, resetting the BIOS. Make sure you enter the BIOS setup and re-cofigure your ram, cpu & other key settings after reboot.

Hi Mucks,

I have just reset the CMOS and loaded defaults and and setup the ram. The computer still turns off though when saving any settings to CMOS, shall I go ahaed and try enabling Reset Configuration Data ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
shall I go ahead and try enabling Reset Configuration Data ?
Yes ... I never write something for nothing ... well, not where PC problems are concerned. ;)

Doing so will not cause any problems, it merely resets a POST flag to default.

Also, you may well be pulling off all non essential bit's-n-bobs shortly, leaving only bare essentials to boot up the PC ... then add em back if the thing does a normal enter BIOS, save & exit, without rebooting/turnin off.

Something is not set right in the BIOS, either that, or the MB is err, failing ... try NO hard drive/or any drives first.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yes ... I never write something for nothing ... well, not where PC problems are concerned. ;)

Doing so will not cause any problems, it merely resets a POST flag to default.

Also, you may well be pulling off all non essential bit's-n-bobs shortly, leaving only bare essentials to boot up the PC ... then add em back if the thing does a normal enter BIOS, save & exit, without rebooting/turnin off.

Something is not set right in the BIOS, either that, or the MB is err, failing ... try NO hard drive/or any drives first.

Hi Mucks,

I can boot into windwos, I have been looking at the manual on where to find the option to reset config data see page 42, both options are just set to auto, This problem off the pc turning off has happend when I have changed the timings for the memory, it never used to do this, its as if something is shorting out somewhere in the system everything is seated correctly and firmley I have also got the latest bios installed.

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-965p-dq6_e.pdf

muckshifter

Reaction score
when I have changed the timings for the memory
err, why are you doing this ? I'm not surprised you get a "problem" if venturing from the "norm" for your setup.

you know, if I had all the relevant information to start with I would be setting out a different criteria.

If you is practicing "overclocking" in anyway, I'm out the door. :wave:

Reset Configuration Data is in your BIOS somewhere, however, on light of your last post I wouldn't bother "fixing" it. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
err, why are you doing this ? I'm not surprised you get a "problem" if venturing from the "norm" for your setup.

you know, if I had all the relevant information to start with I would be setting out a different criteria.

If you is practicing "overclocking" in anyway, I'm out the door. :wave:

Reset Configuration Data is in your BIOS somewhere, however, on light of your last post I wouldn't bother "fixing" it. :rolleyes:

I changed the timings to get 100% stabilty because a few months back the pc would hang at post, I changed them to the reconmmend timings and voltages on the memory package. I have given you all the information I can.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, right ... memory timings can do really strange things, for sec I thought your "playin" around, excuse my wrong conclusion. :blush:

One thing I learnt early on with memory & motherboards ... they lie through their back teeth sometimes. Memory manufacturers are especially prone, one reason I only use crucial these days.

I will also take heed of the MB's manufacturers recommendations, they, after all, should have checked their MB out with leading memory brands. They will/should certainly have their recommendations on site. ;)

I changed them to the recommended timings and voltages on the memory package.
OK, does that also comply with what the MB recommends, usually seting to Auto is enough for most people, however, we know different.

Need to google to see if other people are havin a similar problem.

I'll stick by my original quote though ... there is a BIOS setting wrong somewhere, or, not quite right.

you could still try the "Reset Configuration Data" or "Force Update ESCD" it'll do no harm and will eliminate something I would do myself, is in the BIOS somwhere, I have your manual, I'll look also.

I am, however, running out of ideas without the PC in front of me, very frustrating sometimes.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah, right ... memory timings can do really strange things, for sec I thought your "playin" around, excuse my wrong conclusion. :blush:

One thing I learnt early on with memory & motherboards ... they lie through their back teeth sometimes. Memory manufacturers are especially prone, one reason I only use crucial these days.

I will also take heed of the MB's manufacturers recommendations, they, after all, should have checked their MB out with leading memory brands. They will/should certainly have their recommendations on site. ;)

OK, does that also comply with what the MB recommends, usually seting to Auto is enough for most people, however, we know different.

Need to google to see if other people are havin a similar problem.

I'll stick by my original quote though ... there is a BIOS setting wrong somewhere, or, not quite right.

you could still try the "Reset Configuration Data" or "Force Update ESCD" it'll do no harm and will eliminate something I would do myself, is in the BIOS somwhere, I have your manual, I'll look also.

I am, however, running out of ideas without the PC in front of me, very frustrating sometimes.

Hi Mucks,

I have looked again in the BIOS and in all the menus but I am still not able to find, do you think it could be called something else? I will keep looking though, have you find anything out if other people are having the same problem? I have had a look but I could find anything.

Any help you can offer would be grateful,

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah ha, on the face of it that bloody MB uses two BIOS chips (dual-BIOS), nothing unusual these days, but if you do flash the BIOS, you need to do em both ... apparently Q-Flash should do this for you. Did you?

My approach to "flashing the BIOS" is simple ... don't do it ... if it ain't broke, what the hell are you tryin to fix? ;)

That last paragraph is aimed at anybody reading this thread. :wave:

I also found a hiden switch, well it ain't in the manual I read, that is use Ctrl+F1, it reveals advanced toggles and settings, then you are to make appropriate changes as necessary. The BIOS's work with each other and copy each other. This is why it is necessary to have both at the same version. If it works. :D

"If either the main BIOS or backup BIOS is corrupted, the DualBIOS technology will use the good BIOS and correct the wrong BIOS automatically."
I found that in the manual. :rolleyes:

Try Ctrl+F1 ... not the first time a BIOS havin a hidden switch.

Not seen anything on Mr Google that may help ...

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
ah ha, on the face of it that bloody MB uses two BIOS chips (dual-BIOS), nothing unusual these days, but if you do flash the BIOS, you need to do em both ... apparently Q-Flash should do this for you. Did you?

My approach to "flashing the BIOS" is simple ... don't do it ... if it ain't broke, what the hell are you tryin to fix? ;)

That last paragraph is aimed at anybody reading this thread. :wave:

I also found a hiden switch, well it ain't in the manual I read, that is use Ctrl+F1, it reveals advanced toggles and settings, then you are to make appropriate changes as necessary. The BIOS's work with each other and copy each other. This is why it is necessary to have both at the same version. If it works. :D

I found that in the manual. :rolleyes:

Try Ctrl+F1 ... not the first time a BIOS havin a hidden switch.

Not seen anything on Mr Google that may help ...

Hi Mucks,

Thanks for your reply.

Thats what I have been using to update the BIOS Q-Flash, so it would have done both.. I have also tried Ctrl + F1 but no lluck, I'll have another look though again. Do you think that it could be a courrpt BIOS? There is a new BIOS out but its BETA and a bet unsure weather to flash with it or not.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2295

Have you ever used a BETA BIOS before?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I don't do BETA, well not for a BIOS, only ever needed to "flash" two systems in the past, when a MB needed it to run XP. ;)

I don't see it being of any use ... I will admit to being a little stuck on your problem.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I don't do BETA, well not for a BIOS, only ever needed to "flash" two systems in the past, when a MB needed it to run XP. ;)

I don't see it being of any use ... I will admit to being a little stuck on your problem.

I am running out of ideas to, the system seems to run fine now, its just when I save settings in the bios the hole system shuts off and then comes back on, I will e-mail Gigabyte Tech Support and see what they make of it.

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Mucks,

Update

I have phoned GBT UK today and explained this problem, they want me to send the board back, for the to test and repair if nessecery, they say that this is not normal for this board to be doing this, not that I dont belive it could be normal I just want to get it checked over because of its warranty ending very soon, and I don't want to be left with a possbily failing board, it will also be intresting to see what GBT make of this problem to. I have asked for an advanced replacement but they are not able to do this, they are gonna repair the board, if they cant repair it then there are gonna replace it hopefully.

I will let you know the out come of this.

Regards

muckshifter

Reaction score
Jolly good, is what warranties are for ...

Ask a Question