computer randomly freezes

G

hey all, just recently my power unit fan went out. i wan't home at the time so it fried. i bought a new 300w to run a 2GHz chip. i have a fairly new motherboard. the problem is that ever since i put the new power supply in, it freezes at random times. mostly when music is played; sometimes when i'm typing; and right before a system operation of some kind. usually if i just let it sit there without doing anything at all but idle, then it will run all day and night. i reinstalled windows, and switched ram out. any one have a clue as to whats wrong? the cpu usually runs right around 90's.

G

Try opening event viewer and check for errors/events,you can also go to run
type:Msinfo32 Hardware,conflics,forced hardware,and/or problem devices
It's possible the power unit damaged the board,not enough power,surges,etc..
Errors in event viewer if persistant,would confirm this.

G

both of those didn't turn out any problems. and they seems to be no driver conflicts. the power unit is the same exact power rating and before the old one fried, my OS ran like a champ. is there a way i could test to see if it is the CPU. not so sure if there is anything as far as diagnostics programs for the MB.

G

also the event veiwer shows things happening before the freeze and after the reboot, but nothing about the lockup itself. the system just comes to a screatching halt. no blue screens, no ctrl+alt+del no sounds of anger, just completely frozen picture intacted.

J

Jym

Do you have a voltage monitoring utility running in the bios ? Check your
voltages . I suspect it has something to do with the new power supply. Jym

G

and what am i looking for? in bios it runs pretty even, and doesn't fluxuate more than a couple #'s a couple places past the decimal.

G

voltages should be within 5% + or - of their preferred range

when you said the cpu was running at 90 degrees, is that farenheit or celcius
if it's farenheit, i'd like to know what kind of water cooling you're runnin
if it's celcuis, i'd like to know if your heatsink fell off...

G

it's farenheit, and i don't run water cooling. just a decent heat sink, and no side panels. i'm gonna see about switching the power supply today, and if all else fails i guess a new board and new chip. i want an upgrade anyway. thanx for all of the help
Laterz

Ask a Question