computer powers up, doesnt boot up

Reaction score
New to this forum, hope im in the right category.

I came home from work. Computer worked fine. I turned if off. Shut down normally. I come in and turn it on a few hours later and you can hear the fans come on, the light on the front comes on for about 2 seconds then does off and thats it.
- doesnt beep on start up
- monitor doesnt come on
- cd drive doesnt spin or even open when i press button
- holding the on/off button in doesnt turn it off
- reset button doesnt reset
Its like the rest of the computer isnt getting any power? But im no genius at all. It has to be turned off at wall and does same thing when tried again.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to the forums

You have a "short" somewhere, try swapping out the PSU for a known working one first of all.

:thumb:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Would agree with the muckshifter, sounds like PSU at the moment or could be a big dust build up!

Reaction score
Um... not sure how to get specifics? ... its intel pentium 4... 80gb hard drive... in the power supply has 230V on it.

I removed the PSU and put another in... plugged it in... turned it on and it just beeped repetatively?
Both have '230' on them... so im assuming they are both the same volt.
I put the original back in it... and now the same thing... fans come on but thats it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Sounds like something might had come losse in the PC it could be ram needs reseating take it out and put it back in again, Try link below that is a guide to a computer beeping.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223

Regards,

Wiz

What are the beeps?(i.e. is there a pattern to them?) If you have a loose connection then I would just check inside but if no loose connections then you can narrow it down to more or less three things GPU, RAM or MOBO (then again if you have a problem with the MOBO most of the time it wouldn't post.)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
If it's continuous beeps, and you have AMI BIOS or Award BIOS, it's probably a memory problem, looks like your memory has gone bad. Don't be confused, "memory" is more formerly known as RAM (Random Access Memory). If you are no expert then try reseating the memory. Open you computer and look around for the RAM. Before you do this, drain yourself of static electricity, by touching a plugged in PC power supply.

f_Memorym_9059c4f.png

Then simply press the memory back into the slots until the clips lock back into place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes there is a pattern to the beeps you hear..But the pattern isn't the same for all manufacturers...Open up your rig and unplug everything and check and clean all connectors..Take out memory modules, graphics and sound cards if you have those and ccheck and clean all slots and connections, reseat everything and try statr up again..I wouls start off by installing the minimal amount of hardware..i.e start of by using say one module of memory, then add another..Sort of work a process of ilimination so to speak...:nod: :nod: :nod:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Well he did say it was beeping repetitively, so I thought that ment memory bad?

Guess it depends on the BIOS, but if it's Award BIOS, then it's the memory.
Not sure for Phoenix BIOS or American Megtrends BIOS

Ask a Question