What happens if you install the wrong kind of RAM?

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about pcs. What I know, I have taught myself by reading and doing. Anyway, I put DDR3 RAM in my Dell Demention 5150. It is supposed to have DDR2. Well, I turned it on and I heard 3 loud beeps and I unplugged it. Well, it never booted again yet. I thought it was the motherboard so I got another one off Ebay. Well, I put it in and it isn't any better. I only get a solid green light on the inside. No front lights, no fan, no harddrive. What should I do next?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you use the wrong sort of RAM, you'll get exactly the problem you described unfortunately.

Are you 100% sure that you've used DDR3, as it shouldn't physically fit? The Dell site does say that the 5150 is DDR2.

Does the label on the RAM tell you any more info about it? If you can take a photo of the label we may be able to see what happened.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
some more info for you ...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293445

... and ...

ddr-vs-ddr2-vs-ddr3.jpg

and, sorry to say, either buy a new system, or take that one to a reputable repair shop.

:user:

Ask a Question