Computer hanging on windows screen.

Reaction score
congratulations on your 1500 post!!

no beeps?

i dont like the sound of that mate. no beeps and no output for me point in one direction.YOUR MOTHERBOARD. Have a look at all the jumper settings to see if they are correct.

and in the meantime ring the company up, to see what parts they can replace!

Reaction score
Well the KV7 and 2600+ i had wouldnt work together, i sent them both back, they used our CPU in one of their motherboards, and our motherboard with one of their CPU's because they encountered the original problem i had with the computer. They THEN put the 2 back together, they decided to work fine together, the dude flashed the BIOS with latest revision and sent both things back to me.

Thats how they "fixed" it...

I really am frustrated because my nan ordered this computer from me ooh about 4 months ago and she still doesn't have it. She recently moved from 5 minutes away to 3 hours away so it's not like we can pop it round there either. She isn't happy, I'm not happy, My parents aren't hapy.

Chris

Reaction score
The saga continues....

Ordered an "Asus A7N600-X" (expect review soon) to replace the broke motherboard (because Aria refused to refund us on the faulty Abit KV7, they said we would have to wait and go through the RMA process, after being told by another member of staff that if we had any other problems they would send new one straight out) because we needed nans computer fixed by Tuesday - when she is coming down to see us from Suffolk - 3 hours away.

A dead computer with a KV7 went to a dandy working quite nipply little machine with an Asus A7N600-X in it..... well... Almost!

Went to reformat the Hard drive (Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb SATA) and... it was having problems accessing it, and wouldnt let me do anything basically. Sat there trying to detect the drive for a good 15 minutes before deciding everything was ok and showing me the partition, then telling me i couldn't delete it because it could not find the drive!!

SEE PICTURES

Yes i did have the latest SATA drivers loaded for that chipset.

I grabbed one of my drives from my array out of my machine and plugged that in. Loaded windows setup, within 30 seconds it had detected the drive etc etc and i was able to do what i wanted (except i didn't want to do anything with it due to it containing my data!!)

So...

I have come to the conclusion that my nans hard drive is dead. broken. gone wrong. knackered, and so on...

Good job my sister has her new hard drive coming tomorrow - tis a "Maxtor 40Gb IDE 7200rpm 2mb" which will now have to go in nans PC - so a bit of a downgrade really, but she wont notice the difference, i doubt she will ever use the thing.

SOoOoOo... the computer SHOULD, i repeat SHOULD be working and ready to be taken away on Tuesday.

Oh and one more thing... the motherboard detects the 256Mb stick of PC3500 as 512Mb!?!?! will it work anyway? It had better! Would a BIOS flash fix this?

----------

BUT i have a theory as to why things went wrong. OK, the first time was unlucky and not related to anything but when we got the motherboard and CPU back i put the PC together and it worked fine, Put it into my sisters room for her to mess about with (as hers died shortly before) then it slowly went downhill until it died again.

So my Dad and I thought it may be something to do with my sisters room...

There is a box under her desk attached to the wall that the houses electricity supply goes through, you know the one that has the big red switch that you can use to cut the whole house off. Both computers that have been placed next to that have died... just a coincidence? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 583
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Reaction score
shame about the whole situation really I feel for you.

Well lets hope the 40gb drive will work and u can setup windows xp at the nearest given opportunity

u must have but try the faulty harddrive in another machine and try fdisking it through dos!yes try formatting it on another machine BUT BE SURE TO TAKE ANY OTHER HARDDRIVE IN THAT MACHINE OUT FIRST! prehaps it is a problem with just the master setting. try cable select of slave aswell! but if its sata i guess that dont apply!

not too sure about your memory, but if it gets detected in bios it will definetly work, thats just a sit and wait job really to find out how much windows will recognise it as, i have a feeling it will be 512!:p

and about that box, id personally k33p WELL AWAY from it! It sounds dangerous, woulndt want to mess around with that. id get it moved to another location, most ppl's are in the garage, infront of house etc (out of the way), but in a bedroom thats a first for me mate.

good luck!

p.s dont u jst hate those BLUE XP error screenS! i hate them so much!

Reaction score
prehaps it is a problem with just the master setting. try cable select of slave aswell! but if its sata i guess that dont apply!
Yep - SATA. Jumper-Free!

Personally this all sounds fishy - it was the Hard drive that went in my sisters machine, and not my nans, and both have been next to that box.

How do you FDISK a SATA drive... I thought FDISK was resigned to older versions of windows due to XP being able to format by itself.

And about that box? it happens to be right under my sisters desk! see pictures...

attachment.php
Reckon thats the prob? Or coincidence?

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 305
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
sorry when i meant fdisk, i really meant format it using DOS!!! I think u will need a start up disk for windows 2000 or something not too sure mate. try to google it!!!!i havent done anything like that with sata YET:)

wow that box looks v nice, but its definetly in the wrong place mate! im sure that cant be the main main on/off switch for the whole house. it just looks to small there must be another junction box that is the central control! i mean who would be silly enough to put that there?!!!

Id be screwing if that was my desk! your two harddrives messed up cuz of that box? probably just a myth mate maybe lightning has struck twice for you!

Ask a Question