F4 Bluscreen

Reaction score
My computer which I built worked fine for 2 weeks until it took a turn for the worst.
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4GHZ)
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows XP Professional (Of course - I hate home edition!!)

When I start my PC, it should display the "Welcome to Windows" or "Log on to windows" screen with the light blue bacground.

When it starts, sometimes it instantly hangs. It just displays the light blue background, the mouse won't move, no keyboard response...
Sometimes it does an instant BSOD

"A process thread or critical system operation has exited or has been unexpectingly terminated."

"*** STOP 0X000000F4"

I'm a newbie, but can anyone help me????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have just built the pc you might find that doing a re-install of the OS is your quickest and easiest option .
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Start the pc , hit Delete or F8 to get into the Bios , set these to boot from CD first , put XP CD in CD/DVD drive , save and exit bios and the pc should then boot from the cd and let you install XP . you may be best reformatting the drive when it asks where you want the OS placing as you will definitly have a totaly clean install when you have finished . Hope this helps .
nod.gif

Reaction score
What I mean is I activated Windows already. If I reinstall it, i'll want me to activate it again and I can't do that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
danman567555 said:
What I mean is I activated Windows already. If I reinstall it, i'll want me to activate it again and I can't do that.
I have re-installed XP about 7million times, well, try 7 then. The last time I had to call MS on a UK free phone number ... fully automated.

You DO have a Product Key sticker on your case somewhere, don't you?

Why don't you just try it and see ... or buy another copy of Windows ... :rolleyes:

:user:

Reaction score
No I do not have a COA on the case because I built this myself. I have the COA locked away in me safe. I have tried to reactivate with fone and they say you can only activate it on one computer whick it is on and won't give me unlock key.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
danman567555 said:
No I do not have a COA on the case because I built this myself. I have the COA locked away in me safe.
:rolleyes:

I have tried to reactivate with phone and they say you can only activate it on one computer which it is on and won't give me unlock key.
... I assure you, you can ... I, and many on these forums have done so ... and I haven't just done this on my PC but others also ... it is not illegal ... MS are only concerned you ain't installing their OS on multiple PCs

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2.Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3.Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4.Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5.When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Listen to what they say, carefully ... there is one question in particular, something like ... "is this the only PC that has this copy of windows" ... or something like that.

You must answer the questions as if you are installing for the first time ... MS will ask you for your Product Key, so you better get it out of the safe ... :rolleyes:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2388806.php

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

You may want to take your PC to a professional, and get them to 'fix' it for you.

:user:

Reaction score
After this screen, Windows XP is supposed to load. Before the computer even displays the Windows XP loading screen, it reboots itself. Then says Windows did not start successfully. Select any of the options and it just reboots itself and does as mentioned above all over again.
Setup05.jpg
IMG from http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/Setup05.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have re-installed XP about 7million times, well, try 7 then. The last time I had to call MS on a UK free phone number ... fully automated.

When I did it about a year ago I had to speak to an Indian call centre bloke who was stringently polite and english :D

They must have changed it to automated I guess. Probably faster but less pleasant.

Ask a Question