HOT - AND I MEAN HOT Motherboard and CPU

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
It hasn't shut down, but at normal, my CPU is 42 to 44 degrees celsius. On full load it goes up to 57 degrees celsius.
For the motherboard it's constant temperature is a sweaty 42 to 45 degrees celsius.

Is this going to kill my components?
Athlon 3800+ (2.4GHZ, non dual core)
Asus A8N32 - SLI Deluxe

Reaction score
You should not be worried as the guideline is set at 65c for your CPU> if it goes above or you are concerned set the BIOS to shut down the PC if it exceeds the 65c:) how many fans [case] do you have and which way you set them> In at the front, out the back.

Reaction score
Mine> remember its hot weather at the moment

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 253

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Anything over 50C is not good. Temps given by CPU manufacturers are extreme limits, not comfortable operating temps.

Get yourself a better cooler or some case fans, whatever, just make it cooler.

Or you may experience instability.

Or there again, you may not ;)

Seriously, aim for 50C or below.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Are these temperatures really bad?

itsme said:
You should not be worried as the guideline is set at 65c for your CPU> if it goes above or you are concerned set the BIOS to shut down the PC if it exceeds the 65c:) how many fans [case] do you have and which way you set them> In at the front, out the back.
I only have 2 at the back, the case came fitted with a front fan and 2 back fans, the case is and Asus TA-58, but my motherboard does not have enough fan sockets, so I might get a "fan power splitter" on Saturday.
f_CPUtempm_acdaa5d.png

How do I have the BIOS shut the system down? It only closes down by default at 80 degrees. And what about my motherboard? That must be overheating? Surely?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I only have 2 at the back, the case came fitted with a front fan and 2 back fans, the case is and Asus TA-58, but my motherboard does not have enough fan sockets, so I might get a "fan power splitter" on Saturday.
f_CPUtempm_acdaa5d.png

How do I have the BIOS shut the system down? It only closes down by default at 80 degrees. And what about my motherboard? That must be overheating? Surely?

If these are your temps your ok?
Enter the BIOS look for> PC health in there look at temp> set to manual> set to whatever IE: 55c press F10 to save and thats it.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You should find all the info you need in the manual .

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

My 3400 on a Asus board runs at around 45 C with the mobo at around 38 C running Boinc at 100 % to give you some comparable temps. If you are not running Boinc then I would try running Cool and Quiet as that will help to keep temps down ever so slightly.

happywave.gif
Cool, and I mean cool, after installing "AMD Cool and Quiet" and enabling it, I could turn the fan speeds down to about 2518RPM and the CPU Temp at no load is 39*C and the Motherboard temp at no load is now 36*C to 37*C.
Unfortunately at full load hovever, CPU still runs at a rather hot 54*C Motherboard at 42*C

Game used for test: Disney's Toontown Online - http://www.disney.co.uk/toontown/main.html

I used this game not only because I like it, but because it runs the network connection and controller at full load so it would give a rather accurate result for the motherboard. ;)

Thanks for the link to the manual too.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
What CPU cooler are you using ?? Might be an idea to get a better one.

happywave.gif
It's an Akasa AK-862!
89222.jpg

However, I would like to get an "Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro" if this doesn't work properly.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile getting a cooler that will be compatible with your next upgrade/build. That way you get super cooling now and do not have to spend extra money later on.

happywave.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
But my motherboard is a socket 939 and they are redundant these days, so I am not going to upgrade unless I have to. I might get a better cooler or thermal-absorbative paste today.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
An Arctic Freezer Pro would do you fine :thumb: - and just to say thermal compounds don't actually absorb anything - they just assist in the heat transference by filling in all the little undulations on the base of the cooler so it gets a better interface......I can highly recommend the Arctic Cooling MX-2 :nod:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
An Arctic Freezer Pro would do you fine :thumb: - and just to say thermal compounds don't actually absorb anything - they just assist in the heat transference by filling in all the little undulations on the base of the cooler so it gets a better interface......I can highly recommend the Arctic Cooling MX-2
nod.gif
I'm going to maplin today, do they have any good coolers? *For socket 939 AMD Athlon 3800+

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Akasa AK-876. This is designed for Socket AM2, but will it work for socket 939?

cooler-akasa-ak-876.jpg

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well they have the Zalman Super Flower cooler for £35 - but apart from that I would go to a proper computer component online shop and get the Freezer Pro.

Edit: Yes that Akasa will fit.....

Edit 2:

Review of that Akasa at OCUK:

Since its just under £12, it doesn't have lots of metal in it, in fact when you open it you will probably realize that it's one of the lightest HSF around, but also gives great bang for your buck.

The Good: Cheap, great value, very silent, easy to install (it took me 1 min) and looks good.

The Bad: Not really suitable for overclocking unless you want to sacrifice some serious lifespan and the fins are very aluminum foil-ish (they can be bent in very easily).

The Ugly: Don't expect low temperatures. This HSF sacrifices temperature for dBs. Oh yeah and... this thing is huge!

Although I am happy with this, and I would highly reccommend it to any non-enthusiast user, I will be replacing it in a few months or so.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER overclock my CPU so will the cooler produce temperatures lower than 50*C?

EDIT: I never overclock because it makes my CPU very hot and I'm scared it will damage the CPU and I am not prepared to take that risk.

I will always keep my CPU running at 2.4GHZ

Ask a Question