Upgrade imminent - AMD or Intel?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think, after over a year’s procrastinating, I may finally actually upgrade.

Right now, it’s a choice between these two setups. What I’d like is your point of view.

Asus M2N SLI Deluxe Nforce 570 Socket 940 SLI Motherboard

with

OEM AMD X2 Dual Core AM2 Athlon 64 5200 2.6GHz 2x1Mb Socket AM2

£369.06 total inc VAT

or

Asus P5B 965 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

with

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2 x 2.4Ghz 4Mb Cache 1066 FSB Dual Core Processor

£331.35 total inc VAT

This cooler would be used with either:

Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower 775 £34.02 inc VAT

AMD dual runs at 2.6Ghz, 2 x 1Mb cache

Intel 6600 runs at 2.4Ghz, 2Mb cache x 2

Oddly enough the AMD setup is more expensive.

I’ve chosen the Asus boards without Wi-Fi as my network is hard wired.

Most Pentium motherboards only seem to support Crossfire. As I’m using an Nvidia graphics card, I’d prefer Sli. The Pentium board has Sli, not sure about the AMD board, it didn’t mention Crossfire or Sli in the spec, will have to find out.

I play games a lot.

Strange thing, when I priced up all the parts needed for this system, Novatech worked out cheaper than Overclockers.co.uk, although they don’t actually have the 6600 in stock at the moment.

What do you think would be the best choice?

I know the new Intel chips are meant to be the biz but it still kinda sticks in the gullet going Intel after all these years ;)

Although, having said that, right now it’s kinda 60/40 for the 6600 Intel chip.

Your views welcome :)

Reaction score
open up a poll Flopps

my vote definetly goes to AMD

strangley enough here
the amd setup is more expensive
but stick to what you have beleived in all these years!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well either way flops, i think you would be very happy. :)

Looks like you picked the AM2 version of my current board. :D Its a very good choice! and that 5200 is a beast! :nod:

Those C2D's are supposed to be the muts nuts, Dunno about that MB though, is it just me or does it look a little 'cheap'? Even though it aint.
I been reading very good things about the Gigabyte boards, monster oc'ers is the word. something like the DS3.

I like those HSF's too, been thinking about one of the silver CNPS9500AM2 for mine that GB rocket dont seem to be doing the job as well as i want.....

I perfere the AM2 setup you have listed but thats just me. :)

What you doing for graphics?

Reaction score
Although AMD are a little more expensive at the moment, AMD is my choice, have had no problems as such with AMD so I am sure you will make the right choice FBS;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I prefer the Intel setup at the moment and I don't give a rats arse about loyalty to any of the brands, as both have fantastic reputations anyway..

I rather like the Intel setup with the E6600 at the core with those 2x2mb caches and the Asus P5B board...This setup is a proven monster overclocker with speeds to 3ghz on air achieved easily And at £331 is a no brainer....:nod:

You pays your money Flops...;)

Reaction score
I used to be a great fan of Intel, but have moved over now AMD.
Both are proven at doing the job and it may be a case of you just having to decide on one of them, either way they will do the job you throw at them and then some more!:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm surprised, I didn't expect to see so much support for the AMD option.

I must confess I'm leaning towards the Intel chip, all reviews have shown it to be a goodie. Also, I think the Intel core duo will be around for a while yet I see the AMD AM2 as merely a stopgap between formats and I think may be short lived. Not sure though.

V_R said:
Those C2D's are supposed to be the muts nuts, Dunno about that MB though, is it just me or does it look a little 'cheap'? Even though it aint.

Not sure what you're talking about there, what's a C2D?

And grafix will be: BFG GeForce 8800GTS 640MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock)

It is going to be a little expensive but I've had my Socket A DFI Lan Party/AMD XP3200/6800GT setup for 27 months now. I've hung on to it for that long as I've been really pleased with it.

Reaction score
I'm changing my mind

Mr FBS will you be crunching with this PC?
I agree about AMD AM2 MBoards, as AMD are looking already at the next generation, so i may change my mind and opt for Intel!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
C2D = core 2 duo. ;) Sorry lazy typing!
Flops said:
:eek: :cool:
bowdown.gif

Go for it mate, its all good.
nod.gif

and a free t-shirt form BFG! :D

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Flops, I'd go for the C2D set up with the Asus board - I'm running a C2D E6600 at the moment and its the business, and don't forget that mobo will take the new quads that are coming ;)

All my others rigs are AMD duals, but the E6600 is far better and has a great value/performance ratio.

Go for it and you won't be disappointed :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's it then I think - I'm crossing to the dark side.

Since starting to build computers I've only ever had one Intel CPU and that was on my first build, a 386 that was soldered into the motherboard and had no heatsink. Every CPU after that was an AMD.

Looks like I may be going full circle.

I'm either going to order this stuff to arrive Monday or I may take a drive to Novatech in Portsmouth on Tuesday and collect from their trade counter. I haven't been to Portsmouth since 1962 (school journey) has it changed much? ;)

I just hope Novatech get some E6600's in stock soon or it may delay things.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I haven't been to Portsmouth since 1962 (school journey) has it changed much? ;)
Yes! Big wide open roads & the odd motorway. But easy to find:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Go for it Flopp's...

I hope that thing burns some rubber......The E6600 chip I mean..:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Flops,

I just been re-reading this thread....and having a moment of worry on my part about the cheap comment.

I hope you dont think i was being rude or anything when i said about the P5B, it wasn't supposed to be, just my opinion. :)
I think its more a case of me not being too keen on the colour of it. :blush:

Anyway, enjoy your super pc, its gonna kick butt! :nod:

:thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
. I haven't been to Portsmouth since 1962 (school journey) has it changed much? ;)

Wow that was 44 FORTY FOUR YEARS ago!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Wow that was 44 FORTY FOUR YEARS ago!

My my, you're a bright chap, working that one out :)

Go and see the school nurse, tell her I said you're good at maths, and she'll give you a treat :)

V_R: S'ok, the board is exceedingly dull looking, lol

For another £23.00 I may get the deluxe version which looks a whole lot prettier and has that silent cooling arrangement as well.

The only reason I wasn't going to go for deluxe version is because I don't need wi-fi.

I e-mailed Novatech last night about availability of E6600 chips but no reply as yet. I may give them a phone call.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:thumb:

Good stuff, didn't wanna think i may have inadvertently offended ya. :)

Totally understand, why have wifi if its not needed?

I am surprised at that. The two boards are nearly identical, just one not having the wifi. As i understand it other than the wifi are they not the same mb underneath?

Anyway, good luck!

and let me know how that cooler performs, i am thinking about trying the 939 equivalent.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My my, you're a bright chap, working that one out :)

Go and see the school nurse, tell her I said you're good at maths, and she'll give you a treat :)

I did
she gave me some afters :)

nothing quite like a good looking school nurse
unless of course if she is old and manky!! :(

But luckily our one is in her 20's

Ask a Question