complete system failure

Reaction score
hello all, hope some one can help.

i have a asus p4s533-mx mother baord socket 478 p4 celeron.

just upgraded the memory with a 1gb pc3200 ddr.

on power up the the monitor displayed no signal and an audible beep lasting for 5sec with a delay of the same time was heard.

the memory was the correct type and fitted properly.

replaced the old memory still the same.

cleared the cmos - bios. no change.

re-checked all connections. no change.

have i fried the mother board some how.

Reaction score
It appears so

your MOBO only supports upto 2700
SDRAM and DDRAM
P4S533-MX has two DDR sockets and two SDR sockets that support up to 2GB non-ECC PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 or PC133/PC100 SDRAM DIMMs.
Try rebooting several times with the old RAM.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
one beep refers to memory refresh error, you either have some duff RAM or its not seated properly, pull it out and re seat it and try again if it doesn't work take the RAM back and get some more

what make is it ?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Even though the motherboard only supports up to PC2700, it will run a stick of PC3200, but only at PC2700 speeds.

That sure is a strange problem, if the machine won't POST my first thought is that either the old or new memory isn't seated properly.

You may have some dirt in the RAM slots, an outside chance. Try cleaning the slots with a stiff paint brush and vacum cleaner, and have a good look at them with a torch.

I see you've reset the CMOS memory, I would have suggested that.

You could try disconnecting everything and just boot with all hard drives and optical drives disconnected, to see if it will POST.

Try the RAM in different slots, too.

My gut feeling tells me RAM isn't being seen for some reason, changing RAM should not fry a motherboard.

Reaction score
total system failure

thanks for coming back so quick.

the memory was from crucial.

i placed the new 1gb ddr in to another of my computors and it is working fine.

the old memory where 2 x 256ddr sets

i have changed and swapped the old 256ddr chips several times and checked for correct seating with no change.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, try this:

Disconnect all optical drives and hard drives, then take out the motherboard.

Put the motherboard on a non-conducting surface (a piece of card or even an old newspaper will do), with CPU, memory and grafix card in place. Also all PSU leads, on/off switch connector from front of case and internal loudspeaker.

Connect mouse, monitor and keyboard and see if it will POST.

If it doesn't, there seems to be an outside chance your motherboard is fried, but I think it unlikely.

Reaction score
HELLO

i have done as sugested and removed the motherboard and tried to post with no joy.

moved the memory to different slots as well as installing standard ram and again clearing the bios.

no change.

this may through a little light as it has just come to my attention from reading my local rag.

early hours of monday morning the area i live hade a power failure and surge.

i have no surge protection but this would have just blown the power pack rather than any thing else or not.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
justin case said:
HELLO

i have done as sugested and removed the motherboard and tried to post with no joy.

moved the memory to different slots as well as installing standard ram and again clearing the bios.

no change.

this may through a little light as it has just come to my attention from reading my local rag.

early hours of monday morning the area i live hade a power failure and surge.

i have no surge protection but this would have just blown the power pack rather than any thing else or not.

No, it could well have fried the motherboard without affecting the PSU.

I had lightning hit my telephone line some years ago, it took out the 56K PCI Modem and the whole PCI bus.

Sorry to say, from evidence gathered, it does indeed look as though your motherboard may be dead. I only hope no other components have been affected.

Good luck.

Reaction score
thanks for all your help

not quite sure if to replace the mother baord or dump it and get whole new system.

i might see if my house insurance covers it.

Ask a Question