mem upgrade

Reaction score
buying a new computer the middle of next year . Bought a new hdtv :) so I cant afford the new puter yet. I have an ancient sony 2 .53 gig pcv rz14 i think. Anyways Its not worth spending much money on but I do want to max out the memory. i have two sticks 512 and there's 3 slots. I remember reading somewhere that i was limited to 1.5 gigs of memory.

mobo Asus P4S533 iS651-P4S533VX

according to sis http://www.sis.com/products/sis651.htm 651 chipset

i understand some but not all the jargon. i have two sticks of 512 ddr memory and I have read its better to get matched memory of the same type. So am I limited to 1.5 gigs or will the 651 chip set support 1 gig in each slot. Which is the fastest memory it support( 2100 , 2700 or even 4000)? I have one stick of 133 mhz, the other is a 2100 266 mhz but is supposedly backwards compatible . I want to get the same type of memory in each slot. What are my choice's since I'm kinda confused on the the fastest one i can use? Is 133 mhz the fastest no matter what type I use or what? PC 2100 is 266 mhz 3200 is 400 mhz but not sure it makes any difference if its will only support 133 mhz.

thanks in advance.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCReview

enter your details HERE and you will/should get the correct answer ... buy from them also. ;)

any problems, post back and we will assist you further :nod:

:user:

Reaction score
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO PCV-RZ Series (PC2100)

Seems I was right according to sony its limited to 1.5 gigs yet the the chip set will hold 3 gigs , one in each slot and windows will recognize it. If sony only recommends 1.5 but windows and the chip set can use 3 gigs what would be a likely outcome. Its years out of warranty so no worries there. Would I risk major damage by trying 3 gigs of 2700 266mnhz memory.

thanks in advance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot = 3x1gig ... Win XP is fin with 1.5gig, Win 7 is good with 3, preferably 4gig ... Win7 would be better used on a newer system.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

No "risk" should be encountered, however, (disclaimer) remember that the word comparability" does not exist in computing, sometime things just don't work. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks Muck.

Think I'll just go with get 2 2700 512k sticks to go with my other one. Doubt 3 gigs on my system would
make much of a difference and I'm not playing any new games with high end needs. Thanks for help. now we will see how well my idea for fixing my 478 slot holder works. one of the snaps broke and i dont want to take out the mobo just to put in a new one. If it works Illl put it in the tips section. If it doesn't you might hear some foul language in my house heh.

a few loose screws ok ok maybe more then a few but.....

Ask a Question