Code 19 error for CD-RW and DVD-Rom drives.

G

I just installed a new cd-rw drive and now both drives give this error in Device Manager "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" The Windows XP troubleshooter is no help and I have a fear of fiddlig with the registry without knowing just what I'm doing

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both drives, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I just installed a new cd-rw drive and now both drives give this error in Device Manager "Windows cannot
start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
(Code 19)" The Windows XP troubleshooter is no help and I have a fear of fiddlig with the registry without
knowing just what I'm doing.
|
| I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both drives, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

K

Kent_dieGo

I just installed a new cd-rw drive and now both drives give this error in
Device Manager "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code
19)" The Windows XP troubleshooter is no help and I have a fear of fiddlig
with the registry without knowing just what I'm doing.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both drives, but nothing seems to
work. Any ideas?

When you get a new CD-ROM it usually has jumper set to slave. If both are on
same IDE cable, be sure one is set to master and other is slave.

-Kent

Ask a Question