Changing hardware for DC's

G

Hello,

I need to replace a few DC's with new hardware. I MUST be able to use the same machine name and IP address for the new server so I will need to take the old server down and bring the new up in its place.

These are the FSMO holders so I just want to make sure there are no unforeseen issues with doing this.

A few additional notes: These DC's are the FSMO's and DNS is on Bind 8.

Rough plan:

Old server:
-Transfer roles off to another DC
-SystemState backup?
-Demote old server
-Change name
-Change IP

New server:
-Assign ‘old’ Name
-Assign ‘old’ IP
-DCPromo New server
-Transfer roles back
-Etc, etc.

What am I missing, do I need to do any kind of DNS cleanup first or this will happen dynamically?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

AM

G

Seems like a pretty good plan to me. I would just add either forcing replication throughout the forest between taking the old server down and bringing the new one up or wait a day or so. Don't forget to make sure there is always a GC accesible.

As far as the DNS goes, when you demote the DC it should remove all records related to it (except the A and PTR records). The only record you really need to worry about is the DCGUID._msdcs.forestroot.com record.

-Jack

----- ADMan2004 wrote: -----

Hello,

I need to replace a few DC's with new hardware. I MUST be able to use the same machine name and IP address for the new server so I will need to take the old server down and bring the new up in its place.

These are the FSMO holders so I just want to make sure there are no unforeseen issues with doing this.

A few additional notes: These DC's are the FSMO's and DNS is on Bind 8.

Rough plan:

Old server:
-Transfer roles off to another DC
-SystemState backup?
-Demote old server
-Change name
-Change IP

New server:
-Assign ‘old’ Name
-Assign ‘old’ IP
-DCPromo New server
-Transfer roles back
-Etc, etc.

What am I missing, do I need to do any kind of DNS cleanup first or this will happen dynamically?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

AM

Ask a Question