Cdrw Dvd Rom Drive Problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Advent 2001 PC running on Windows XP Home.

About 3 weeks ago my CD Rom stopped reading CDs. You could open the drawer. insert a CD and the drive would spin slowly, although it would not spin to full speed. The drive did not show under my computer either. I checked the device manager and the drive had a asterix within a yellow box beside it.

I got a new CDRW DVD Rom today and fitted it and the same is happening. There is power to the drive, the device manager recognises the new drive name, the yellow asterix is still there though. I ran a diagnostic check and the software says that no drive exists.

Someone suggested using a new 80 pin connection lead, but cant see why that would make any difference to the old drive.

Regards

Reaction score
go to device manager uninstalled the CD-RW then unitstall the pri and sec IDE channels and also the IDE controller,, reboot they will reinstall themselves. see if you have the same problem.

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried what you suggested, everything loaded back in but the drive is still unrecognised. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

it is not listed under the BIOS CD-ROM, however it is listed under Problem Devices error code 41. I looked up this error code and follow Microsoft's instructions. They did not work. I checked on the Samsung Website and followed some of there instructions on deleting a registry item and then deleting the Prim & Sec IDE controllers, however this did not work either.

Its not a life or death situation that my CD Rom works but it is handy sometimes!!

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
How is the CD drive attached to the PC ... are you using 80col ribbon cable ... did you make sure the jumper on the CD drive is set to master or slave ... is the BIOS set to Auto.

;)

Reaction score
If it does not show in bios, and you have auto detection on, and this just started happeneing, then it is one of a few things:
1. the cdrw went bad.
2. the cable went bad.
3. the ide contoller went bad.
4. BIOS lost a setting.

Since you replaced the drive, 1 is eliminated. Assuming you installed the new cable with the new drive, then 2 is most likely eliminated.
So now that leaves the contoller or the bios.
How is this cabled? is it on the same cable as the hard disk? (most likely not) if so, the the cable is suspect.
If not, and your harddisk cable has the extra connector, you could try plugging the cd drive on there, set the jumper to slave. if it is detected, then you need to do some more troubleshooting on the other ide channel. (change the cable if not already done)
Some bioses have an option to set cdrom for the device in detection. If you;rs does, then try changing that to auto, or none and see if that resolves it.

Just thought of one more thing, very rare, but I have seen it. Try a differrent power connector to the drive. I'vee seen those molex pins get loose and make a bad connection causing very strange drive problems.

Reaction score
hamish_mctavish said:
How do I check if the Jumper is set to Master or Slave?

Also, how do I check if the BIOS is set to Auto?

Thanks

Turn off the PC unplug the mains.

Take the side off the PC and look at the back of the drive you will see the jumpers/ pins > see the writing Master>Slave Etc: set it to what you needs are.

come back and will tell you how to enter Bios.

Reaction score
GO TO THE REGISTRY DELETE THE UPPER FILTERS AND THE LOWER FILTERS....restart the computer and then check!!

Ask a Question