CD will not burn data but will burn music&pics

N Millsap

I have been running a P4 system with a Pioneer DVR104 DVD-R/W CD-R/W
drive. I used to be able to burn data files by right clicking on the
folders and files I wanted to copy, and sending them to the CD (temp
folder) and then burning them to CD. I can no longer do this with data
files, but with music files (.wma, mp3, etc.) or photo files I can
choose the files and copy them to CD----The drive writes them just fine.
BUT NOT DATA! If I try to copy data, the error message Drive :/ not
available - Incorrect function is displayed.

I had to load and use Burnquick (CD burning software) in order to copy
data files to the drive. XP will no longer do it by itself, like it
used to. Is this because of some upgrade, or what?

When I put a blank CD in the drive, and the drive spins up to read the
disk, it also displays 'Drive :/ not available - Incorrect function'.
If I leave that same disk in the drive, I can copy music files to it
using the built-in XP burner through the media player. WHAT GIVES?

I Deleted Upper and Lower Filters in the Registry, I've tried all the CD
patches, I've read all the troubleshooting CD problems on Microsoft's
website, and nothing works. The problem I have doesn't seem to exactly
fit any of the problems I read about.

Can ANYONE help?!

Paul

Go to Control Panel/Admin Tools, run this
then run services..Find Imapi CD-Burning
and disable. Reboot. See if that fixes it.

Also, copying MP3's to CD directly wont
work in a CD, other than the one on your
PC. Or if your stereo CD supports MP3.

If you want to play MP3's on other CD's
besides the PC 1, you need something like
Nero Burning Rom, or a program that can
burn MP3's to CD (they need to be converted)

XP's built in burning is hopeless for data.

As it doesnt support packet-writing. It's
pretty limited in what it can do.

It's better if you use something like CD Creator
/ DirectCD. (Version 5 with updates, or V6+)

N Millsap

Paul - No, it doesn't fix it. I used to really like the way it worked.
It still works just fine on my other PC, and I miss being able to just
drag and drop.
Any other ideas?

| Go to Control Panel/Admin Tools, run this
| then run services..Find Imapi CD-Burning
| and disable. Reboot. See if that fixes it.
|
| Also, copying MP3's to CD directly wont
| work in a CD, other than the one on your
| PC. Or if your stereo CD supports MP3.
|
| If you want to play MP3's on other CD's
| besides the PC 1, you need something like
| Nero Burning Rom, or a program that can
| burn MP3's to CD (they need to be converted)
|
| XP's built in burning is hopeless for data.
|
| As it doesnt support packet-writing. It's
| pretty limited in what it can do.
|
| It's better if you use something like CD Creator
| / DirectCD. (Version 5 with updates, or V6+)
|

| | > I have been running a P4 system with a Pioneer DVR104 DVD-R/W CD-R/W
| > drive. I used to be able to burn data files by right clicking on
the
| > folders and files I wanted to copy, and sending them to the CD (temp
| > folder) and then burning them to CD. I can no longer do this with
data
| > files, but with music files (.wma, mp3, etc.) or photo files I can
| > choose the files and copy them to CD----The drive writes them just
fine.
| > BUT NOT DATA! If I try to copy data, the error message Drive :/ not
| > available - Incorrect function is displayed.
| >
| > I had to load and use Burnquick (CD burning software) in order to
copy
| > data files to the drive. XP will no longer do it by itself, like it
| > used to. Is this because of some upgrade, or what?
| >
| > When I put a blank CD in the drive, and the drive spins up to read
the
| > disk, it also displays 'Drive :/ not available - Incorrect
function'.
| > If I leave that same disk in the drive, I can copy music files to it
| > using the built-in XP burner through the media player. WHAT GIVES?
| >
| > I Deleted Upper and Lower Filters in the Registry, I've tried all
the CD
| > patches, I've read all the troubleshooting CD problems on
Microsoft's
| > website, and nothing works. The problem I have doesn't seem to
exactly
| > fit any of the problems I read about.
| >
| > Can ANYONE help?!

Robert

[...]

_______________

Hi!
Maybe this might help.
I had to uninstall Nero's InCD to be able to burn CDs using the XP
built-in burner. There were conflicts.

N Millsap

<Robert> wrote in message
| On 01/11/2003 N Millsap wrote:
|
| > I have been running a P4 system with a Pioneer DVR104 DVD-R/W CD-R/W
| > drive. I used to be able to burn data files by right clicking on
the
| > folders and files I wanted to copy, and sending them to the CD (temp
| > folder) and then burning them to CD. I can no longer do this with
| > data files, but with music files (.wma, mp3, etc.) or photo files I
| > can choose the files and copy them to CD----The drive writes them
| > just fine. BUT NOT DATA! If I try to copy data, the error message
| > Drive :/ not available - Incorrect function is displayed.
| >
| > I had to load and use Burnquick (CD burning software) in order to
copy
| > data files to the drive. XP will no longer do it by itself, like it
| > used to. Is this because of some upgrade, or what?
| >
| > When I put a blank CD in the drive, and the drive spins up to read
the
| > disk, it also displays 'Drive :/ not available - Incorrect
function'.
| > If I leave that same disk in the drive, I can copy music files to it
| > using the built-in XP burner through the media player. WHAT GIVES?
| >
| > I Deleted Upper and Lower Filters in the Registry, I've tried all
the
| > CD patches, I've read all the troubleshooting CD problems on
| > Microsoft's website, and nothing works. The problem I have doesn't
| > seem to exactly fit any of the problems I read about.
| >
| > Can ANYONE help?!
| _______________
|
| Hi!
| Maybe this might help.
| I had to uninstall Nero's InCD to be able to burn CDs using the XP
| built-in burner. There were conflicts.
| --
| Cheers,
| Robert
_________________

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I don't have any other burn software
installed on this machine at the present time, so I can't uninstall
anything. I'm shrugging my shoulders......

I liked the XP Built-in burner and I want it to work so if anyone has
any idea how the original built-in burner is set up, please let me know
what I need to look at to make sure I'm set-up as I need to be.
Norm

Robert

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. I don't have any other burn
software installed on this machine at the present time, so I can't
uninstall anything. I'm shrugging my shoulders......

I liked the XP Built-in burner and I want it to work so if anyone has
any idea how the original built-in burner is set up, please let me
know what I need to look at to make sure I'm set-up as I need to be.
Norm
_______________

Hi again!
You might have had an unclean uninstall of your CD burning software.
You might want to try a Windows XP Repair Install. Here are
recommendations found on this very newsgroup:

What I would do is do a "repair" install of Windows. Boot from the CD
and start the installation process. Continue past the first place where
it asks you if you want to repair installation. At the second prompt
for a Windows repair accept that and it will completely re-do your
installation without losing any files. You will need to re-install any
updates (including sp1) again. For detailed instructions, please see: