cd rom keeps flashing and does not open

Reaction score
My internal CD-Rom drive will not open and flashes all the time. It does not appear as a drive on My Computer folder and there is not a disk in the drive. I would like to use it some time. I do have other external and DVD+CD-Rom drives to use, so I'm not in trouble yet. I don't know if another program caused this or what. I may just have to replace it if I can't get it to work. But, I don't want the same thing to happen to the new one. So, does anyone have any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like it is either broken or incorrectly plugged in. Try opening the computer up and checking the cable connections are ok.

It should open the tray as long as there is power getting to it (which there must be for a flashing light), so it appears faulty.

Reaction score
If you have done what Ian has said and found it to be ok and it still will not open try this.

There is a hole just below the CD rom drawer, turn the power OFF unplug the mains then insert a 4or5 inch needle into the hole and push, this will open the drawer, now clean the side rails of the CD rom with a clean cloth checking the rom is not damaged in anyway shut the drawer and restart your PC, if that does not work, you have a faulty drive.

Ask a Question