Can't Install MMC 8.8 for Radeon 9600 Pro AIW

R

Ric K.

I can install/remove/reinstall both MMC 8.6 and 8.7 no problem. When I try to install MMC
8.8 I get about three pop-ups declaring "Severe: Unable to read REG file". Then I get a
window prior to reboot that states "1628: failed to complete installation". Upon reboot
MMC
8.8 has failed to install.

My system is:
AMD XP 2400 (NO OVERCLOCKING!)
Asus A7V8X
ATI Radeon 9600Pro AIW
1 gig 2700 memory
Maxtor 160 gig SATA DH (60 gig free)
Pioneer DVR 105 DVD -R/RW
Liteon LTR-52327S CD-RW
SB Audigy
XP Home SP 1

All updates for BIOS, XP, and drivers up to date. Everything else for the 9600pro
installed fine. The launchpad, strangely, says that Eazyshare is version 8.8, everything
else always reads 8.7 (the version currently installed). I've deleted my temp files and
emptied the
recycle bin. I've used the control panel/add-remove all ATI software utility. I've
deleted all ATI directories. I've shut off my antivirus and firewall during install. How
do I get MMC 8.8 to install?

Thanks,
Ric

R

Ric K.

No go. Still the same error codes although now both Eazylook (which doesn't work) and the
TV say they're version 8.8. Despite the supposed ability of cat-unistaller.exe to remove
all traces of ATI programs the other programs (file player, dvd, etc.) say they are
version 8.7, which I didn't re-install.

Ric

I

Ingogpriv

Sorry I cannot help but I have got the same problem:
MMC 8.7 works well, but intsalling MMC 8.8 is not possible. It says that
there another version of MMC is installed.
Ati really should give a hint which files or registry entries are to be
deleted.

E

Ed Dombrowski

On a side note there are a lot of problems with MMC 8.8 and Audigy sound
cards so even if you do get it to install you may have issues. If 8.7 is
working you might just want to stay with that.

Ed

R

Ric K.

Fixed it. I booted off my second copy of Windows XP, properly installed it, then copied
all the files and registry entries to my main install.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Ric

Ask a Question